Google Analytics: Tracking Yahoo Campaigns via Filters?

  • driveong
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
      Hello All,

      We have a Yahoo PPC Campaign running, but unfortunately, we cannot tag
      the destination URLs (the campaign is controlled by a different
      department).

      We are receiving Yahoo's tagging of the url like so:
      OVRAW=Widgets&OVKEY=widget&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=123&OVKWID=321

      We can see this in the "Top Content" reporting of Google Analytics,
      but can we use filters or JavaScript to convert it to data Google
      Analytic can properly ID as being part of a Yahoo Campaign?

      I've see the following page on how to use other tracking systems in
      GA:
      http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=27248&topic=7275.
      But the Yahoo URL tagging lacks a "source" or "medium" equivalent for
      Google to use.

      1. Is there a code where I can say:
      "If there's an OVKEY in URL than set Campaign Source to "Yahoo",
      Campaign Medium to "CPC" and use OVKEY as Campaign Term"?

      2. At the very least, can we just Filter-Out the PPC as well?
      I'm assuming we can run a GA Filter that basically says "Excluse if
      URI Request has 'OVKEY'"?
    • Tom Miller
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
        Hi,

        There is no reason why you couldn't insert this logic using Javascript into
        the way GA tracks your pageviews.

        The urchinTracker function is what records the pageview, either pulling the
        campaign, source, keyword, ad unit, and medium variables from the URL of the
        referring link or generating them on its own using the HTTP header info.
        Your campaign will probably show up as it exists now in GA as being referred
        from yahoo/organic because of the referring url.

        Just put this logic into your page's Javascript to define the variables that
        urchinTracker uses (you will pardon me for not actually writing the code for
        you):

        IF (OVKEY != '') {
        _uccn = campaign name
        _ucsr = source
        _ucmd = medium
        }

        Then call urchinTracker.

        Two things:

        1. Although I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to do this, you do not
        have to call urchinTracker, and thus not record the pageview. The
        urchinTracker function is where the magic happens.

        2. Be careful with the formatting of your campaign names, sources, mediums,
        etc. Make sure that your are careful to tag the same variables with the
        exact same names across all of your CPC sources.

        Tom
        cashe.ws

        On 10/2/07, driveong <driveong@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > We have a Yahoo PPC Campaign running, but unfortunately, we cannot tag
        > the destination URLs (the campaign is controlled by a different
        > department).
        >
        > We are receiving Yahoo's tagging of the url like so:
        > OVRAW=Widgets&OVKEY=widget&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=123&OVKWID=321
        >
        > We can see this in the "Top Content" reporting of Google Analytics,
        > but can we use filters or JavaScript to convert it to data Google
        > Analytic can properly ID as being part of a Yahoo Campaign?
        >
        > I've see the following page on how to use other tracking systems in
        > GA:
        >
        > http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=27248&topic=7275.
        > But the Yahoo URL tagging lacks a "source" or "medium" equivalent for
        > Google to use.
        >
        > 1. Is there a code where I can say:
        > "If there's an OVKEY in URL than set Campaign Source to "Yahoo",
        > Campaign Medium to "CPC" and use OVKEY as Campaign Term"?
        >
        > 2. At the very least, can we just Filter-Out the PPC as well?
        > I'm assuming we can run a GA Filter that basically says "Excluse if
        > URI Request has 'OVKEY'"?

      • Tim Leighton-Boyce
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2007
          I've had some success using a series of filters to match for a string (such
          as OVKEY) in the Request URI and then output something appropriate to
          Campaign Source and Campaign Medium (also Name, in my case).

          So far the traffic appears as expected in most reports. But at the moment
          ecommerce transactions and revenue do not seem to be tracked using this
          approach. So it seems a promising approach to investigate, but I have not
          got it to work completely yet.

          I'd be very interested if anyone has any clues about why the transactions
          side of things seems to be broken by this approach to processing, please.

          Tim