Instances of Referrers Report in Omniture

  • kristy chen
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 21, 2007
      I am trying to use referrers report and other reports to do some analysis. However, instance numbers does not quite match with other report, for example like number of visits in visits report?

      How to understand the instances metric in referrers report? (Can I understand it using number of visits?)
      How to understand the gap?

      Kristy

    • Stephane Hamel
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 21, 2007
        Hi Kristy,
        this is a very common question regarding Omniture instances and I wish
        they would report both Visits and Instances in the Referrer report.

        If you want a full explanation, check out the blog post I did some
        time ago:
        http://blog.immeria.net/2007/04/instances-vs-visits-in-omniture.html

        S.Hamel
        Practitioner & blogger
        http://blog.immeria.net

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, kristy chen <kristyanalytics@...>
        wrote:

        > I am trying to use referrers report and other reports to do some
        analysis. However, instance numbers does not quite match with other
        report, for example like number of visits in visits report?

        > How to understand the instances metric in referrers report? (Can I
        understand it using number of visits?)
        > How to understand the gap?
        >
        > Kristy

      • rohan kapoor
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 21, 2007
          Hi Kristy,

          Instances are occurance of unique events Instances metrics will never match up to other WA standard metrics like Visits or Unique users, Page Views. This is because if you visit the site through a referrer, then it is quite possible that you might click the back button (or close the broswer) and then come back within a specified time (assume it to be less than 30 minutes). So the Visit metrics count will only be 1 but the Instances will now be 2.

          Hope it helps.

          Rohan

          kristy chen <kristyanalytics@...> wrote:
          I am trying to use referrers report and other reports to do some analysis. However, instance numbers does not quite match with other report, for example like number of visits in visits report?

          How to understand the instances metric in referrers report? (Can I understand it using number of visits?)
          How to understand the gap?

          Kristy

        • kristyanalytics
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 23, 2007
            Thanks a lot Rohan for your explanation!!

            Krisy

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, rohan kapoor
            <robbie_kapoor@...> wrote:

            > Hi Kristy,
            >
            > Instances are occurance of unique events Instances metrics will
            never match up to other WA standard metrics like Visits or Unique
            users, Page Views. This is because if you visit the site through a
            referrer, then it is quite possible that you might click the back
            button (or close the broswer) and then come back within a specified
            time (assume it to be less than 30 minutes). So the Visit metrics
            count will only be 1 but the Instances will now be 2.

            > Hope it helps.
            >
            > Rohan
            >

            > kristy chen <kristyanalytics@...> wrote:
            > I am trying to use referrers report and other reports to
            do some analysis. However, instance numbers does not quite match
            with other report, for example like number of visits in visits
            report?

            > How to understand the instances metric in referrers report? (Can I
            understand it using number of visits?)
            > How to understand the gap?
            >
            > Kristy

          • kristyanalytics
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 23, 2007
              Thanks a lot for your help! I found your blog. The explaination is
              very clear. Actually, I have more questions and will leave you
              messages there.

              Kristy

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Kristy,
              > this is a very common question regarding Omniture instances and I
              wish
              > they would report both Visits and Instances in the Referrer report.
              >
              > If you want a full explanation, check out the blog post I did some
              > time ago:
              > http://blog.immeria.net/2007/04/instances-vs-visits-in-
              omniture.html

              > S.Hamel
              > Practitioner & blogger
              > http://blog.immeria.net
              >
              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, kristy chen <kristyanalytics@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I am trying to use referrers report and other reports to do some
              > analysis. However, instance numbers does not quite match with other
              > report, for example like number of visits in visits report?
              > >
              > > How to understand the instances metric in referrers report?
              (Can I
              > understand it using number of visits?)
              > > How to understand the gap?
              > >
              > > Kristy

            • Stephane Hamel
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 24, 2007
                I just posted on my blog to answer your email question about getting
                Visits by Referrers, hope that helps! :)

                http://blog.immeria.net/2007/09/instances-of-referrers-report-in.html

                S.Hamel
                http://blog.immeria.net

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "kristyanalytics"
                <kristyanalytics@...> wrote:

                > Thanks a lot for your help! I found your blog. The explaination is
                > very clear. Actually, I have more questions and will leave you
                > messages there.
                >
                > Kristy
                >

                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Kristy,
                > > this is a very common question regarding Omniture instances and I
                > wish
                > > they would report both Visits and Instances in the Referrer report.
                > >
                > > If you want a full explanation, check out the blog post I did some
                > > time ago:
                > > http://blog.immeria.net/2007/04/instances-vs-visits-in-
                > omniture.html
                > >
                > > S.Hamel
                > > Practitioner & blogger
                > > http://blog.immeria.net
                > >
                > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, kristy chen <kristyanalytics@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I am trying to use referrers report and other reports to do some
                > > analysis. However, instance numbers does not quite match with other
                > > report, for example like number of visits in visits report?
                > > >
                > > > How to understand the instances metric in referrers report?
                > (Can I
                > > understand it using number of visits?)
                > > > How to understand the gap?
                > > >
                > > > Kristy

              • kristy chen
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 25, 2007
                  That's great. Thank you so much. :)

                  Kristy

                  Stephane Hamel <shamel67@...> wrote: I just posted on my blog to answer your email question about getting

                  <kristyanalytics@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks a lot for your help! I found your blog. The explaination is
                  > very clear. Actually, I have more questions and will leave you
                  > messages there.
                  >
                  > Kristy
                  >

                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Kristy,
                  > > this is a very common question regarding Omniture instances and I
                  > wish
                  > > they would report both Visits and Instances in the Referrer report.
                  > >
                  > > If you want a full explanation, check out the blog post I did some
                  > > time ago:
                  > > http://blog.immeria.net/2007/04/instances-vs-visits-in-
                  > omniture.html
                  > >
                  > > S.Hamel
                  > > Practitioner & blogger
                  > > http://blog.immeria.net
                  > >
                  > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, kristy chen <kristyanalytics@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I am trying to use referrers report and other reports to do some
                  > > analysis. However, instance numbers does not quite match with other
                  > > report, for example like number of visits in visits report?
                  > > >
                  > > > How to understand the instances metric in referrers report?
                  > (Can I
                  > > understand it using number of visits?)
                  > > > How to understand the gap?
                  > > >
                  > > > Kristy

                • Scribner, Craig (Web Analytics and Testi
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 26, 2007
                    Omniture uses instances to mean: how many times has this variable been
                    populated with this value. Here are some cases where Omniture has
                    renamed Instances to something else (for which I have endured much
                    taunting from my Marketing team)

                    page name variable: instances is called Page Views

                    tracking code variable: instances is called Click-Throughs

                    Plus there are a handful of filtered instances reports:

                    Searches in Natural Paid reports = instances where referrer is detected
                    by Omniture as being a search engine, and the Paid Search Detection
                    values you uploaded (Admin tab) return no values.

                    Instances in Referrers/ReferringDomains reports = instances where
                    referrer parameter is populated with values that don't include strings
                    you uploaded to the Internal URL Filters tool (Admin tab). Be careful-if
                    you extend tags to a new site and forget to update this Filters list,
                    every click on this site besides the first one on each visit will
                    inflate your referrers report with unwanted instances.

                    Visits in Exit/Entry Pathing reports = pagename instances where Omniture
                    determines that a page was the first/last in the visit.

                    ________________________________

                  • dhs1986@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 26, 2007
                      On a related subject, is there a known issue by any chance with regard to Omniture's classification of referral instances? I am still seeing a lot of what appears to be search engine referral traffic classified incorrectly as "Other Website" activity, as opposed to being included under the "Search Engine" category? I thought I'd read that this issue was supposed to have been resolved in a previous release of SiteCatalyst, but now I'm not so sure.

                      Could this be paid search that's not being captured properly?

                      Thanks,
                      David

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 26, 2007
                        I remember a time when the pendulum swung the other way, and
                        SiteCatalyst would search through the entire referrer URL string for the
                        substring "yahoo" and automatically put it in the search engine bucket,
                        even if it was in the query string parameter section. Maybe some of the
                        rework that they did being more specific about what constituted a search
                        engine overcorrected the wheel some...

                        ________________________________

                        From: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 26, 2007
                          Which search engines are not detected? Is it for PPC or organic
                          search? You might want to look at KB article #1780, which explain how
                          some referring URL's coming from Yahoo might be shown in PPC, organic
                          or plain referring sites.

                          Here's two examples from that KB (I hope they won't mind I copy a bit
                          of that KB article!):
                          Example 1:
                          Referrer: http://mail.yahoo.com/something?q1=123&q2=456
                          Landing Page URL: http://mysite.com/?pid=123
                          This is counted as a referrer only, not a search engine.

                          Example 2:
                          Referrer: http://search.yahoo.com/something?q=search+term
                          Landing Page URL: http://mysite.com/?pid=123
                          This is counted as a paid search engine (assuming pid is in the paid
                          search detection rules), with a keyword of "search term."

                          This looks ok to me and would explain seeing some results in "Other
                          websites".

                          Also look under Admin/Edit report suite/General/Paid search detection,
                          which allows you to specify rules for detecting specific PPC campaigns
                          (other than the default ones).

                          Hope that helps!
                          Stéphane Hamel
                          Web analytics practitioner & blogger
                          http://blog.immeria.net

                        • dhs1986@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 27, 2007
                            Thanks for the response, Stephane. What about Google? What if, hypothetically speaking, a Google PPC campaign were to run without a specific landing page for the destination URL and without any tracking codes? Would that traffic be classified as "Other Websites" or "Search Engines."

                            As an example, during one month, my site recorded about 2.7 million referral instances from Google that were classified under the "Search Engine" category and about 130,000 from Google under the "Other Websites" category. When I drill down to view the referrers for each, many "Search Engine" referrers are identical to others under "Other Websites," with _exactly_ the same URL parameters. I can't figure it out.

                            Thanks!

                            David

                            From: "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@...>
[...]

                            St�phane Hamel
                            Web analytics practitioner & blogger
                            http://blog.immeria.net

                            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, dhs1986@... wrote:

                            > On a related subject, is there a known issue by any chance with
                            regard to Omniture's classification of referral instances? I am still
                            seeing a lot of what appears to be search engine referral traffic
                            classified incorrectly as "Other Website" activity, as opposed to
                            being included under the "Search Engine" category? I thought I'd read
                            that this issue was supposed to have been resolved in a previous
                            release of SiteCatalyst, but now I'm not so sure.

                            > Could this be paid search that's not being captured properly?
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > David

                          • Stephane Hamel
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 28, 2007
                              Exactly the same URL? I'm stomped...

                              When I look at the referring URL's, even if they come from Google, I
                              see some of them in PPC and others as organic, and still others as
                              normal referrers. Those "other sites referral" can be:
                              - Google adwords (shown as coming from Google Syndication)
                              - Google maps
                              - Google Image search
                              - Google mail
                              - Some Google search with "as_q" as the parameter (instead of "q=")
                              etc.

                              In the Admin menu, Omniture should add the flexibility to create our
                              own detection patterns (just like the Paid Search Detection setup).

                              S.Hamel
                              http://blog.immeria.net

                              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, dhs1986@... wrote:

                              > Thanks for the response, Stephane. What about Google? What if,
                              hypothetically speaking, a Google PPC campaign were to run without a
                              specific landing page for the destination URL and without any tracking
                              codes? Would that traffic be classified as "Other Websites" or "Search
                              Engines."

                              > As an example, during one month, my site recorded about 2.7 million
                              referral instances from Google that were classified under the "Search
                              Engine" category and about 130,000 from Google under the "Other
                              Websites" category. When I drill down to view the referrers for each,
                              many "Search Engine" referrers are identical to others under "Other
                              Websites," with _exactly_ the same URL parameters. I can't figure it out.

                              > Thanks!
                              >
                              > David
                            • Leslie Chacon
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 28, 2007
                                Hello All-Good Friday!

                                I am not sure if this topic has been posted in the past and if so can someone please send me the link to the topic at hand. I have been trying to learn more about not just tracking and adding parameters to campaigns in Google Analytics but rather how to segment them out for analysis? Is there some sort of filter that I have to create that will segment the campaign out and place them in the interface/user defined, to separate them from all traffic? I have tried reading Google's Blog and ROI but can't seem to find the article, any references would truly be appreciated.

                                Cheers!
                                Leslie Chacon

                              • Jared Huber
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 28, 2007
                                  Hi Leslie,
                                  Interesting timing… I'm working on a similar project today.

                                  One way to achieve this segmentation is setting up a new `profile' and
                                  filtering it to show only those visitors coming in from the given
                                  campaign. "Filter" > "Custom filter" > "Include" on filter field
                                  "Campaign code".

                                  Your original profile will have all data. New profile will include
                                  only those visitors from the campaign.

                                  Some great resources are available in..
                                  Robbin's blog: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/?s=google+analytics+filter
                                  And the conversion university videos at Youtube:
                                  http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7A545E796C2CFA72

                                  Hope this helps,
                                  Jared

                                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Leslie Chacon