Re: How do I break in to the Web Analytics field?

  • shor
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2007
      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "neufsky" <lleaf@...> wrote:

      > I have been a marketing analyst in a traditional industry for 5+
      > years, but I am very interested in Web Analytics and want to work in
      > this field. A lot of my current skill sets are relevant to WA, and I
      > plan on learning Web Analytics specific skills, they are not a problem.
      >
      > The problem is, most job ads for web analysts that I checked out
      > online require at least 2 years experience specifically in online
      > marketing or web analytics field,I do not have that, how do I get a
      > start? My current employer does not even know what web analytics is
      > and does not care about it either.
      >
      > Any suggestions?

      I would recommend you get your hands dirty.

      Start off your education with the usual web analytics books (Avinash
      Kaushik, Jim Sterne, Eisenbergs) and setup your own site and/or blog.
      Webhosting and domain hosts are a snip these days and you can
      implement quite a few analytics tools for free or at a low cost -
      Google Analytics, Mint, CrazyEgg to name a few.

      Secondly, as the industry is in a growth phase and there is a shortage
      of web analysts, if you explain in your cover letter why your 5 years
      of offline experience can be pertinent to an online role (strong
      analytical skills, knowledge of market trends and ability to see the
      big picture, ability to independently extract insight and present to
      senior executives etcetera), you should find many willing suitors...
      as long as you demonstrate a passion for web analytics!
    • Anil Batra
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2007
        Even though jobs will say 2 years of online marketing or web analytics,
        that's just their wish list. I have hired people with no online experience
        at all and they turned out to be great web analyst.
        My suggestion is apply for the job even if it says 2 years of experience is
        required. I am sure you will land a job in Web Analytics. Also, you might
        want to read my blog post
        http://webanalysis.blogspot.com/2006/11/starting-career-in-web-analytics.html

        Where are you based?

        Thanks
        Anil

        --
        Anil Batra
        http://webanalysis.blogspot.com

      • Liz Donaldson
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
          There are plenty of nonprofits and organizations that depend on
          volunteers that have a web presence. Theses organizations many times use
          their sites to grow their membership and even have on-line stores.
          Become a volunteer and manage a web analytics program for such an
          organization. My experience is there are many looking for help. This
          experience along with your prior marketing experience may help you break
          into a formal web analyst position along the way.

          neufsky wrote:

          > I have been a marketing analyst in a traditional industry for 5+
          > years, but I am very interested in Web Analytics and want to work in
          > this field. A lot of my current skill sets are relevant to WA, and I
          > plan on learning Web Analytics specific skills, they are not a problem.
          >
          > The problem is, most job ads for web analysts that I checked out
          > online require at least 2 years experience specifically in online
          > marketing or web analytics field,I do not have that, how do I get a
          > start? My current employer does not even know what web analytics is
          > and does not care about it either.
          >
          > Any suggestions?

        • bryan.cristina
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
            I say the hell with the requirements. If you've read enough about it
            and tried your own stuff (Google analytics is easy to place on any
            site you may have access too and will allow you to play around), you
            can probably talk your way through an interview.

            What types of skills do you have? My background was programming,
            JSP, content management, HTML/CSS design. And of course I'm just a
            naturally detail digging inquisitive guy by nature. All of those
            things worked out great for this line of work, and I was able to get
            a job with no experience in it, beating out people who had supposedly
            done it before. All because they could just tell I'd be a good fit.

            After doing that for a while I even interviewed someone who never did
            analytics, but his background was definitely suitable. He worked out
            great in the couple months I got to work with him before I took
            another position outside the company.

            Just go for it. Chances are they've had the job posted for a while
            and have had no real leads, one of them is bound to give you a chance.
          • dhs1986@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
              I would second this, but would add the caveat that you should ideally try to get past the HR department and go directly to the hiring manager (or better still, network in person) especially if it's a big company. Sometimes the HR department is fairly ignorant as to what is really involved in certain job functions and will throw away your resume without a second glance if certain "requirements" are not met (e.g. 2 years of experience). This might have something to do with justifying the pay scale assigned for the opening, but regardless of the circumstances, it's the manager who has the power to hire, so try to approach him or her first if at all possible.

              FWIW, when I was negotiating the salary for my current position, HR refused to consider my 4 years of web development experience as "relevant" and would only consider my (at the time) 2 years of direct web analytics experience. Needless to say, I was incensed, but somehow I managed to keep my cool.

              David

              From: "Anil Batra" <batraonline@...>

              --
              Anil Batra