Crazy Egg and Dynamic URLs

  • duckpubs
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
      In mid-July, Jeremiah started a Crazy Egg topic, which I immediately
      employed on my blog hosted by blogspot. And the tool worked! I liked it
      so much I made the pitch to my boss and IT and they were impressed as
      well.

      IT followed up with Crazy Egg and asked some IT-type questions (I'm a
      marketing guy) and it turns out that CE does not currently work with
      dynamic URLs... yet. CE's support said they are releasing a version in
      the coming months that will support dynamic URLs.

      So, my question(s) to the group is: does anyone currently use Anayltics
      tools that work well on sites with dynamic URLs, and what are those
      tools?
    • vabeachkevin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
        I use WebTrends and HBX and I have some dynamic URL's. I just have the
        code in a common footer across the site and have page name and content
        group variables dynamically inserted based on different factors.

        Kevin

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "duckpubs" <rohde.mj@...> wrote:

        > In mid-July, Jeremiah started a Crazy Egg topic, which I immediately
        > employed on my blog hosted by blogspot. And the tool worked! I liked
        it
        > so much I made the pitch to my boss and IT and they were impressed as
        > well.
        >
        > IT followed up with Crazy Egg and asked some IT-type questions (I'm a
        > marketing guy) and it turns out that CE does not currently work with
        > dynamic URLs... yet. CE's support said they are releasing a version
        in
        > the coming months that will support dynamic URLs.
        >
        > So, my question(s) to the group is: does anyone currently use
        Anayltics
        > tools that work well on sites with dynamic URLs, and what are those
        > tools?

      • Colin Cooper
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
          Hi,

          Marketwave HitList is very happy working with Dynamic URLs. And I'd
          expect you'd hear the same from most vendors!

          (Full disclosure - yes we do represent Marketwave!)

          ---
          Colin Cooper colin@...
          ISSEL
          Marketwave Web Analytics
          http://www.issel.co.uk
          Tel: +44 (0)870 166 2435

          Registered in England and Wales No: 3218933
          Registered Office: 1 Trinity Avenue, London N2 0LX

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "duckpubs" <rohde.mj@...> wrote:

          > In mid-July, Jeremiah started a Crazy Egg topic, which I immediately
          > employed on my blog hosted by blogspot. And the tool worked! I liked
          it
          > so much I made the pitch to my boss and IT and they were impressed as
          > well.
          >
          > IT followed up with Crazy Egg and asked some IT-type questions (I'm a
          > marketing guy) and it turns out that CE does not currently work with
          > dynamic URLs... yet. CE's support said they are releasing a version
          in
          > the coming months that will support dynamic URLs.
          >
          > So, my question(s) to the group is: does anyone currently use
          Anayltics
          > tools that work well on sites with dynamic URLs, and what are those
          > tools?

        • Michael Rohde
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
            Hello Kevin,

            Thanks for your reply. I have not used WebTrends or HBX, so I am wondering
            if they provide metrics on which links were clicked (how often, which
            networks, etc.) and what kind of reports does it provide (list view,
            pinpoint accuracy, heat maps, etc)?

            I like your idea about dynamically inserting page name and content group
            variables... I will talk to IT about that. Are there any questions I should
            be prepared to answer when I talk to them about it? Are there any tricks or
            useful suggestions on how to do it?

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
            "duckpubs" <rohde.mj@...> wrote:

            > In mid-July, Jeremiah started a Crazy Egg topic, which I immediately
            > employed on my blog hosted by blogspot. And the tool worked! I liked
            it
            > so much I made the pitch to my boss and IT and they were impressed as
            > well.
            >
            > IT followed up with Crazy Egg and asked some IT-type questions (I'm a
            > marketing guy) and it turns out that CE does not currently work with
            > dynamic URLs... yet. CE's support said they are releasing a version
            in
            > the coming months that will support dynamic URLs.
            >
            > So, my question(s) to the group is: does anyone currently use
            Anayltics
            > tools that work well on sites with dynamic URLs, and what are those
            > tools?

          • vabeachkevin
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
              Both WebTrends and HBX have IE plugins that can give you overlays
              with link data, paths and more. I spend the majority of my day
              working with HBX and I find it to be a very valuable tool. Sorry I
              don't have more info on the dynamic insertion of the variables, I did
              the same as you, just told my IT guys what I wanted and they got it
              done.

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Rohde" <rohde.mj@...>
              wrote:

              > Hello Kevin,
              >
              > Thanks for your reply. I have not used WebTrends or HBX, so I am
              wondering
              > if they provide metrics on which links were clicked (how often,
              which
              > networks, etc.) and what kind of reports does it provide (list view,
              > pinpoint accuracy, heat maps, etc)?
              >
              > I like your idea about dynamically inserting page name and content
              group
              > variables... I will talk to IT about that. Are there any questions
              I should
              > be prepared to answer when I talk to them about it? Are there any
              tricks or
              > useful suggestions on how to do it?

            • Michael Rohde
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
                Let me provide a little more detail on what I mean by dynamic URLs. Our
                website is using BEA's AquaLogic and the pages consist of portlets.

                We have a section on our site called, 'My Research Area.' This is where the
                problem comes in: when a member visits the MRA, the page is constructed
                on-the-fly and the content in the portlets are dependent on the member's
                configuration (what they purchased). We have 100's of programs that our
                Members can access in the MRA. The problem is that both GA and BEA Analytics
                Console treat all visits to the MRA as one page, even though Visitors could
                be visiting 100's of programs. We have no idea what programs the Visitors
                are visiting. From a marketing stand point, you could see how this could be
                very frustrating. How does one know which programs to promote to which
                visitors when we can't see where they are going?

                Side note: Yes, we could do surveys, and our client relations teams meet
                with our members on a regular basis, but what people do and what people say
                can be two different things...

                If we had a means to dynamically name the page dependent on which program
                was accessed, then we can start collecting metrics. Can HitList, WebTrends,
                or HBX do this? Does anyone have experience using these tools on a portal
                site? My other burning question is, do these tools also provide metrics on
                which links are clicked, how often they are clicked, and which networks the
                clicks are coming from? Vendors are welcome to contact me directly if you
                want. If anyone from BEA is reading this, I'd love to talk with you as well!

                One last side note, we recently interviewed with a few big-name web site
                designers since we want to upgrade the site, and the majority of them told
                us to get off of BEA... That really isn't much of an option for us since
                they have such strong security features.

                -Michael Rohde (rohde.mj@...)