Can GA be useful to track email marketing campaigns

  • Amitabh
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
      Hi,
      I have heard of various tools which can be used to track email
      campaigns, but just wanted to know if GA can help achieve the same.

      I am a webmaster for a fortune 500 company and we send out tonnns of
      emails across. Is there a way that Google Analytics can help in
      getting information on the email campaigns.

      Is there any other freeware tool that does that? How can i achieve
      this? Please help
    • Darlene Moore
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
        Hi Amitabh

        I would personally find GA more helpful than the built in reporting of
        Constant Contact for example and it is nice to see email stats in the same
        picture as all of your other marketing stats.

        If you use the URL Builder located at
        http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=27255 you could
        tag your links within the email, going out to your website as being from the
        medium of email, and the campaign could be the date and you could continue
        to segment if desired.

        Looking forward to hearing others thoughts,

        Darlene

      • Mayuresh Walke
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
          I didn't know about this GA URL Builder - many thanks for pointing that out.

          Mayuresh

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Darlene Moore" <darlene@...> wrote:

          > Hi Amitabh
          >
          > I would personally find GA more helpful than the built in reporting of
          > Constant Contact for example and it is nice to see email stats in the same
          > picture as all of your other marketing stats.
          >
          > If you use the URL Builder located at
          > http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=27255 you could
          > tag your links within the email, going out to your website as being from the
          > medium of email, and the campaign could be the date and you could continue
          > to segment if desired.
          >
          > Looking forward to hearing others thoughts,
          >
          > Darlene

        • Lothaire Ruellan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
            Of course, it is very easy.

            You should just add a few parameters to your outbound links from the
            newsletter. Tag your links in the following fashion:
            http://www.yoursite.com/yourpage.html?
            utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=name_of_your_email
            _blast

            Then, you can see in your Traffic Source Report the visits coming
            from links from your email blast and use it as a way to segment your
            traffic and compare various metrics such as goal conversion (if you
            have one setup), bounce rate, etcÂ…

            Lothaire

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Amitabh" <amitabdoc@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I have heard of various tools which can be used to track email
            > campaigns, but just wanted to know if GA can help achieve the same.
            >
            > I am a webmaster for a fortune 500 company and we send out tonnns of
            > emails across. Is there a way that Google Analytics can help in
            > getting information on the email campaigns.
            >
            > Is there any other freeware tool that does that? How can i achieve
            > this? Please help

          • Maurizio Fionda
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
              I suggest also to ask your boss to give you a few thousand US$ in extra
              budget and buy a tool specifically built for email marketing, you will
              discover an interesting new world of data and many relationships you can
              design between, thats gives you important insights and KPI on your email
              m. process.

              For instance by analyzing the "bounce back" data (hard bounces and soft
              bounces) you can understand the quality of your DB and find indicators on
              how and why your data isn't accurate (telemarketing, web forms, missing
              updates or maintenance, etc...)

              Furthermore in your db you have for sure passive users, users receiving
              your email but never active, you should not consider this value when you
              evaluate your open rate.

              Email marketing can be a very powerful tool if used with clear objectives,
              clear strategy and method, technology it's not a "success factor" but can
              be a "failure factor" also because you are missing informations and views
              of the process.

              --
              Maurizio Fionda
              Diennea Italy
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
                Most web analytic tools, including GA, are useful for managing email marketing as campaigns. You can see which email or which links (depending on how you want to define "campaign") perform. That's level one.

                Most "enterprise" level integrations will also take data back from the web analytics application so that you can target based on website behavior. You need to link the two databases, but the particular session in the web analytics tool need not be a response to an email. You just need to know that the individual (i.e., the cookie) is part of the email database.

                I work at Responsys and we do this type of integration with GA and other web analytics tools.

                The third level is pulling email statistics (delivered, bounced, opens) into the web analytics application. This allows for a "full view" dashboard in the web analytics tool. This case is more rare, since most clients see the first two as more valuable .

                If you are a smaller business you can do "level one" by simply following instructions in GA help. I expect you will see Constant Contact and Vertical Response provide more out-of-the-box integrations with GA soon.

                Ed