Blocking Internal Traffic

  • ecuman79
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
      We have the ability within our analytics program to block our
      internal/company traffic. I am wondering if there is a general
      concensus or rule of thumb for doing so.
      Of course without naming your company, I'd love to get a yes or no, as
      to whether you currently do or don't block this traffic from your
      overall numbers.
      Thanks
    • Paul Holstein
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
        Great question. We struggled with this and came up with the perfect
        solution.

        Yes, track your internal traffic, but then segment your traffic
        between internal and external for your reporting. That way you get
        the best of both worlds.

        --Paul

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "ecuman79" <milesplayground@...>
        wrote:

        > We have the ability within our analytics program to block our
        > internal/company traffic. I am wondering if there is a general
        > concensus or rule of thumb for doing so.
        > Of course without naming your company, I'd love to get a yes or no, as
        > to whether you currently do or don't block this traffic from your
        > overall numbers.
        > Thanks

      • G. K. Endress
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
          Hi -

          Yes we block traffic from our internal traffic. We drive some traffic from our intranet directly out to our corporate site and our executives were only interested in external traffic.

          Gabi

          "The cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will be. Our feeblest contemplations of the cosmos stir us ... [and] we know we are approaching the greatest of mysteries" - Carl Sagan

        • Brandon Hartness
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
            We don't block internal traffic, but rather segment them into another
            reporting suite with Omniture. Our CSRs place orders via a custom view of
            our website's checkout, so if we didn't segment them, then our conversion
            metrics would be drastically different. That would allow for terrific
            conversion metrics, but really won't help with decision making. :)

            If CSRs placing orders won't affect conversion, then you need to evaluate
            the type of operation. I've worked with companies that almost never visit
            their own website, and others that live and breathe within the website. In
            the latter scenario, your views/visit, time on site, page depth and other
            similar metrics will be rendered inaccurate.

            Brandon

            On 7/3/07, ecuman79 <milesplayground@...> wrote:

            > We have the ability within our analytics program to block our
            > internal/company traffic. I am wondering if there is a general
            > concensus or rule of thumb for doing so.
            > Of course without naming your company, I'd love to get a yes or no, as
            > to whether you currently do or don't block this traffic from your
            > overall numbers.
            > Thanks

          • Gus Kormeier
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
              We block internal traffic from our reports, it is pretty much essential.

              Pretty much all the reasons that Brandon mentioned apply,
              -Gus

              ________________________________

              <mailto:milesplayground%40gmail.com> > wrote:

              > We have the ability within our analytics program to block our
              > internal/company traffic. I am wondering if there is a general
              > concensus or rule of thumb for doing so.
              > Of course without naming your company, I'd love to get a yes or no, as
              > to whether you currently do or don't block this traffic from your
              > overall numbers.
              > Thanks

            • webber analytics
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2007
                When you segment them into another reporting suite with Omniture, does that
                data get excluded from your main report suite? We have a similar business
                model where we have CSRs that do product research online but do not purchase
                it on our webstore. So they don't affect order conversion, but may affect
                time spent/page views, etc.

                On 7/3/07, Brandon Hartness <bhartness@...> wrote:

                > We don't block internal traffic, but rather segment them into another
                > reporting suite with Omniture. Our CSRs place orders via a custom view of
                > our website's checkout, so if we didn't segment them, then our conversion
                > metrics would be drastically different. That would allow for terrific
                > conversion metrics, but really won't help with decision making. :)
                >
                > If CSRs placing orders won't affect conversion, then you need to evaluate
                > the type of operation. I've worked with companies that almost never visit
                > their own website, and others that live and breathe within the website. In
                > the latter scenario, your views/visit, time on site, page depth and other
                > similar metrics will be rendered inaccurate.
                >
                > Brandon
                >
                > On 7/3/07, ecuman79 <milesplayground@...<milesplayground%40gmail.com>>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > We have the ability within our analytics program to block our
                > > internal/company traffic. I am wondering if there is a general
                > > concensus or rule of thumb for doing so.
                > > Of course without naming your company, I'd love to get a yes or no, as
                > > to whether you currently do or don't block this traffic from your
                > > overall numbers.
                > > Thanks

              • Paul Holstein
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2007
                  The way this works is quite simple in Omniture. Our main report suite
                  includes all of our traffic. We then created a new report suite
                  called External Traffic. To create the segment, we simply added a
                  rule in the Segmentation Wizard that excludes our IP address.

                  Additionally, I excluded my own computer and a few others using cookies.

                  We are a top 500 retailer with CSRs who take orders online. This way,
                  we get all the conversion data we need without worrying about issues
                  with loyalty, referrals, etc.

                  My dream would be to have a system in place that would allow our CSRs
                  to enter a code read to them from the customer's browser. Once the
                  CSR entered that code, everything would be recorded as if the customer
                  himself continued the session. That would really help us tie
                  conversions back to keywords and referrers much better.

                  Does anyone know how to do that?

                  --Paul

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "webber analytics"
                  <webberanalytics@...> wrote:

                  > When you segment them into another reporting suite with Omniture,
                  does that
                  > data get excluded from your main report suite? We have a similar
                  business
                  > model where we have CSRs that do product research online but do not
                  purchase
                  > it on our webstore. So they don't affect order conversion, but may
                  affect
                  > time spent/page views, etc.
                  >
                  > On 7/3/07, Brandon Hartness <bhartness@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > We don't block internal traffic, but rather segment them into
                  another
                  > > reporting suite with Omniture. Our CSRs place orders via a custom
                  view of
                  > > our website's checkout, so if we didn't segment them, then our
                  conversion
                  > > metrics would be drastically different. That would allow for terrific
                  > > conversion metrics, but really won't help with decision making. :)
                  > >
                  > > If CSRs placing orders won't affect conversion, then you need to
                  evaluate
                  > > the type of operation. I've worked with companies that almost
                  never visit
                  > > their own website, and others that live and breathe within the
                  website. In
                  > > the latter scenario, your views/visit, time on site, page depth
                  and other
                  > > similar metrics will be rendered inaccurate.
                  > >
                  > > Brandon
                  > >
                  > > On 7/3/07, ecuman79 <milesplayground@...<milesplayground%40gmail.com>>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > We have the ability within our analytics program to block our
                  > > > internal/company traffic. I am wondering if there is a general
                  > > > concensus or rule of thumb for doing so.
                  > > > Of course without naming your company, I'd love to get a yes or
                  no, as
                  > > > to whether you currently do or don't block this traffic from your
                  > > > overall numbers.
                  > > > Thanks

                • vabeachkevin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 5, 2007
                    I block all internal traffic. I don't feel that we are the
                    true 'customers' of the site so I don't want any of our stats included.
                    Kevin Rogers
                  • themap.travelistic
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5, 2007
                      While we do not block internal traffic, we are also a company of just
                      5 - i usually subtract metrics from our IP address when presenting
                      numbers externally however.

                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "vabeachkevin" <kevin.rogers@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I block all internal traffic. I don't feel that we are the
                      > true 'customers' of the site so I don't want any of our stats included.
                      > Kevin Rogers

                    • Steve
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5, 2007
                        On 7/4/07, ecuman79 <milesplayground@...> wrote:
                        > We have the ability within our analytics program to block our
                        > internal/company traffic. I am wondering if there is a general
                        > concensus or rule of thumb for doing so.
                        > Of course without naming your company, I'd love to get a yes or no, as
                        > to whether you currently do or don't block this traffic from your
                        > overall numbers.

                        * Is it worth blocking them? Internal users make up ~ 0.3% of our
                        entire user population. In our case: No. Too small a percentage to
                        even worry about it.

                        * Are you removing legitimate users? In our case: Yes. Of our internal
                        users only about 5-10% of that number could skew the numbers away from
                        real users.

                        * There is an effort (and hence cost) involved in adding and
                        maintaining any filtering. Things change with time. Will you *always*
                        remember to cross check and verify that you actually are removing
                        internal users?
                        eg. Via cookies. Even via IP addresses. A new internal proxy server
                        can totally throw your filtering out. And you may not notice or know
                        it.

                        In essence: It Depends. IMHO don't spend too much time effort and $$$
                        trying to gain an extra 0.3% "accuracy". There are too many other
                        things I can do with my time that can better spend that money. YMMV.

                        Paul's first reply sums it up masterfully. Segment and then decide. In
                        his case it is worth pulling them out. Shrug. :-)

                        Cheers!
                        - Steve
                      • abbdrb
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 5, 2007
                          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holstein" <paul@...> wrote:

                          > My dream would be to have a system in place that would allow our CSRs
                          > to enter a code read to them from the customer's browser. Once the
                          > CSR entered that code, everything would be recorded as if the customer
                          > himself continued the session. That would really help us tie
                          > conversions back to keywords and referrers much better.
                          >
                          > Does anyone know how to do that?
                          >
                          > --Paul

                          I'm not sure how you transfer the online activity from customer to
                          CSR, but if the customer initiates the communication with the CSR by
                          clicking on a link in their browser you may be able pass a cookie
                          containing a transaction code and have that same code associated with
                          the CSR's session. Although it wouldn't cause everything to be
                          recorded as one session, you can probably have a custom report set up
                          to link the activities together.

                          angie
                        • Brandon Hartness
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                            Paul, we don't go the last mile yet in assigning the cart/order to the
                            visitor's session, but we do offer a "cart ID number" for the customer to
                            mention when calling in. Right now, it's only used so the CSR can recall the
                            shopping cart, and has been pretty effective. I probably should figure out a
                            way to tie that back to the session though.

                            Brandon

                            On 7/4/07, Paul Holstein <paul@...> wrote:

                            > The way this works is quite simple in Omniture. Our main report suite
                            > includes all of our traffic. We then created a new report suite
                            > called External Traffic. To create the segment, we simply added a
                            > rule in the Segmentation Wizard that excludes our IP address.
                            >
                            > Additionally, I excluded my own computer and a few others using cookies.
                            >
                            > We are a top 500 retailer with CSRs who take orders online. This way,
                            > we get all the conversion data we need without worrying about issues
                            > with loyalty, referrals, etc.
                            >
                            > My dream would be to have a system in place that would allow our CSRs
                            > to enter a code read to them from the customer's browser. Once the
                            > CSR entered that code, everything would be recorded as if the customer
                            > himself continued the session. That would really help us tie
                            > conversions back to keywords and referrers much better.
                            >
                            > Does anyone know how to do that?
                            >
                            > --Paul
                            >
                            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > "webber analytics"
                            > <webberanalytics@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > When you segment them into another reporting suite with Omniture,
                            > does that
                            > > data get excluded from your main report suite? We have a similar
                            > business
                            > > model where we have CSRs that do product research online but do not
                            > purchase
                            > > it on our webstore. So they don't affect order conversion, but may
                            > affect
                            > > time spent/page views, etc.
                            > >
                            > > On 7/3/07, Brandon Hartness <bhartness@...> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > We don't block internal traffic, but rather segment them into
                            > another
                            > > > reporting suite with Omniture. Our CSRs place orders via a custom
                            > view of
                            > > > our website's checkout, so if we didn't segment them, then our
                            > conversion
                            > > > metrics would be drastically different. That would allow for terrific
                            > > > conversion metrics, but really won't help with decision making. :)
                            > > >
                            > > > If CSRs placing orders won't affect conversion, then you need to
                            > evaluate
                            > > > the type of operation. I've worked with companies that almost
                            > never visit
                            > > > their own website, and others that live and breathe within the
                            > website. In
                            > > > the latter scenario, your views/visit, time on site, page depth
                            > and other
                            > > > similar metrics will be rendered inaccurate.
                            > > >
                            > > > Brandon

                            > no, as

                          • Paul Holstein
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 7, 2007
                              That's a fascinating idea. I can see the customer clicking on the
                              link, then it would be up to the CSR to pick up the cookie. Perhaps,
                              when the customer clicks, the code could be added to a database and be
                              given a status of "not picked up yet" Then the CSR could click on a
                              separate link on an internal page and pick up the last code entered
                              and also mark the record as "picked up" so that no other CSR picks up
                              the same cookie.

                              I love it.

                              --Paul

                              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "abbdrb" <abbdrb@...> wrote:

                              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holstein" <paul@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > My dream would be to have a system in place that would allow our CSRs
                              > > to enter a code read to them from the customer's browser. Once the
                              > > CSR entered that code, everything would be recorded as if the customer
                              > > himself continued the session. That would really help us tie
                              > > conversions back to keywords and referrers much better.
                              > >
                              > > Does anyone know how to do that?
                              > >
                              > > --Paul
                              > >

                              > I'm not sure how you transfer the online activity from customer to
                              > CSR, but if the customer initiates the communication with the CSR by
                              > clicking on a link in their browser you may be able pass a cookie
                              > containing a transaction code and have that same code associated with
                              > the CSR's session. Although it wouldn't cause everything to be
                              > recorded as one session, you can probably have a custom report set up
                              > to link the activities together.
                              >
                              > angie

                            • Paul Holstein
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 7, 2007
                                Thanks for another great suggestion. We've been meaning to find a way
                                to pick up the customers cart and also the page they are on when they
                                call. Between the two suggestions I've received so far, I think the
                                solution is within reach. Thank you so much for taking the time to
                                respond.

                                --Paul

                                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Hartness"