Tracking TV Ads

  • Efe Aras
    Message 1 of 9 , May 30 12:39 AM
      Hi There,

      One of our customer is starting a TV Ad series on different channels
      which will drive people to customer's web site.They asked us to measure
      which TV channel is performing best to drive qualified traffic to their web
      site.

      Ads will be showing on different days, on different channels.

      There are two targets of the campaign:

      - get new visitors to site
      - get more paid subscribers

      We have found a few different methods and I would like to talk about them
      and get your ideas.

      1- We are planning to measure the new visitor visits and we will be looking
      at the number of new visitor visits between the Ad show and three hours
      later (assumption 1: we are expecting the TV audience will be leaving their
      seats and checking the web site in three hours). Then we will compare these
      numbers with the ones from the previous weeks for the same time period.

      2- We will do the same for number of paid subscriptions but with a longer
      interval; next 24 hours until the other Ad on another channel. (assumption
      2: we are expecting the audience will subscribe in 24 hours) Again we will
      be comparing these numbers with the previous weeks.

      However we know that our assumptions are not very realistic and the only way
      we have found to get around this situation is give different promotion codes
      on different Ads.

      Any ideas are appreciated.

      Thank you

      --
      Efe Aras
      PortakalOfis Consulting

    • Marcos Richardson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30 9:21 AM
        Hi Efi,

        This is one of our key areas of expertise having first done this back in
        2004 please see here… http://www.webtraffiq.com/press/pr_26_feb_2004.php

        We have now refined our approach to include geo-location figures.

        Happy to chat to you further off list

        Regards

        Marcos Richardson
        Director
        www.webtraffiq.com

        > Hi There,
        >
        > One of our customer is starting a TV Ad series on different channels
        > which will drive people to customer's web site.They asked us to measure
        > which TV channel is performing best to drive qualified traffic to their
        > web
        > site.
        >
        > Ads will be showing on different days, on different channels.
        >
        > There are two targets of the campaign:
        >
        > - get new visitors to site
        > - get more paid subscribers
        >
        > We have found a few different methods and I would like to talk about them
        > and get your ideas.
        >
        > 1- We are planning to measure the new visitor visits and we will be
        > looking
        > at the number of new visitor visits between the Ad show and three hours
        > later (assumption 1: we are expecting the TV audience will be leaving
        > their
        > seats and checking the web site in three hours). Then we will compare
        > these
        > numbers with the ones from the previous weeks for the same time period.
        >
        > 2- We will do the same for number of paid subscriptions but with a longer
        > interval; next 24 hours until the other Ad on another channel. (assumption
        > 2: we are expecting the audience will subscribe in 24 hours) Again we will
        > be comparing these numbers with the previous weeks.
        >
        > However we know that our assumptions are not very realistic and the only
        > way
        > we have found to get around this situation is give different promotion
        > codes
        > on different Ads.
        >
        > Any ideas are appreciated.
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > --
        > Efe Aras
        > PortakalOfis Consulting
        > http://www.portakalofis.com
        > +90 212 356 74 20

      • bella_and_thompson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 30 10:45 AM
          We've just launched an TV ad campaign also but have had some
          challenges really tracking the effectiveness and impact on our online
          ad sales.

          In a decision that went against our SEO & Branding initiatives, we
          setup a .TV domain and referred to that address on the TV
          Advertisement. The next click sent the user to our .COM site.
          Immediately, we were able to track the traffic to that site & from
          there, we created:

          1. An active Hitbox segment for all users who entered our site
          through the .TV page, which allowed us to track everything under the
          sun, thanks to the robustness of Hitbox's active segmentation.

          2. A Funnel that had the .TV page as the first page in the funnel &
          the last page being our conversion/order confirmation page. This
          immediately gave us the conversion rate for users who hit our TV site.

          Secondly, knowing that some (maybe most) users will typically go to
          the .COM site (even though directed to the .TV) page, we setup a
          script that logs each 10 minute interval into a Hitbox custom variable :

          Example:
          hbx.hc1=11:00
          hbx.hc1=11:10
          hbx.hc1=11:20
          etc...

          From there, we were able to run some reports using HBX Report Builder
          that gave us the traffic by 10 minute intervals. We looked at our
          advertisement run times provided to us by our ad agency & then looked
          at our traffic levels 10, 20 & 30 minutes after the commercials have
          run, to gauge the impact on our online traffic.

          The most beneficial thing about this was we now have a daily,
          scheduled report that comes out of the Hitbox Report Builder tool that
          automatically lands in my email box (along with the other business
          owners) every morning. It's one of the first things I look at, and it
          enables us to gauge whether this TV campaign is making us money or not.

          Quan M. Pham
          fasci9ion@...

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Efe Aras" <arasefe@...> wrote:

          > Hi There,
          >
          > One of our customer is starting a TV Ad series on different channels
          > which will drive people to customer's web site.They asked us to measure
          > which TV channel is performing best to drive qualified traffic to
          their web
          > site.
          >
          > Ads will be showing on different days, on different channels.
          >
          > There are two targets of the campaign:
          >
          > - get new visitors to site
          > - get more paid subscribers
          >
          > We have found a few different methods and I would like to talk about
          them
          > and get your ideas.
          >
          > 1- We are planning to measure the new visitor visits and we will be
          looking
          > at the number of new visitor visits between the Ad show and three hours
          > later (assumption 1: we are expecting the TV audience will be
          leaving their
          > seats and checking the web site in three hours). Then we will
          compare these
          > numbers with the ones from the previous weeks for the same time period.
          >
          > 2- We will do the same for number of paid subscriptions but with a
          longer
          > interval; next 24 hours until the other Ad on another channel.
          (assumption
          > 2: we are expecting the audience will subscribe in 24 hours) Again
          we will
          > be comparing these numbers with the previous weeks.
          >
          > However we know that our assumptions are not very realistic and the
          only way
          > we have found to get around this situation is give different
          promotion codes
          > on different Ads.
          >
          > Any ideas are appreciated.
          >
          > Thank you
          >
          > --
          > Efe Aras
          > PortakalOfis Consulting
          > http://www.portakalofis.com
          > +90 212 356 74 20

        • Coskun Tasoluk
          Message 4 of 9 , May 30 9:31 PM
            Merhaba Efe,

            Unfornualetly, I do not have any good suggestions, other than to have
            different landing pages for each channel, domain.com/cnn, domain.com/show.
            You could also do a small poll among your friends/co-workers, to crudely
            estimate correctness of your assumptions. For example, myself I do not
            recall visiting a website, because of a TV ad.

            You brought up a good discussion point. Effectiveness (ROI) offline
            campaigns (specifically TV ads) for a pure online business compare to online
            marketing campaigns. My assumption is that TV ads are mostly for branding
            purposes, not for immediate traffic impact or sales for the online business.
            However, I might be totally wrong, since I am not a marketing person. The
            article analyzes web traffic pattern during Super Bowl ads
            (http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=742). Note that, we do not
            know how much they spent for ad time and how much sales they made due to TV
            ads. I do not believe, who visited Go Daddy during Super Bowl, also bought a
            domain name. Do not get me wrong, I am not suggesting TV ads are not worth
            it. However, you might need to have different metrics to measure
            effectiveness of TV ads on a web site.

            Probably, someone on this board, who has both offline and online marketing
            experience, enlighten us.

            -c. t.

            > One of our customer is starting a TV Ad series on different channels
            > which will drive people to customer's web site.They asked us to measure
            > which TV channel is performing best to drive qualified traffic to their
            > web
            > site.
            >
            > Ads will be showing on different days, on different channels.
            >
            > There are two targets of the campaign:
            >
            > - get new visitors to site
            > - get more paid subscribers
            >
            > We have found a few different methods and I would like to talk about them
            > and get your ideas.
            >
            > 1- We are planning to measure the new visitor visits and we will be
            > looking
            > at the number of new visitor visits between the Ad show and three hours
            > later (assumption 1: we are expecting the TV audience will be leaving
            > their
            > seats and checking the web site in three hours). Then we will compare
            > these
            > numbers with the ones from the previous weeks for the same time period.
            >
            > 2- We will do the same for number of paid subscriptions but with a longer
            > interval; next 24 hours until the other Ad on another channel. (assumption
            > 2: we are expecting the audience will subscribe in 24 hours) Again we will
            > be comparing these numbers with the previous weeks.
            >
            > However we know that our assumptions are not very realistic and the only
            > way
            > we have found to get around this situation is give different promotion
            > codes
            > on different Ads.
            >
            > Any ideas are appreciated.
            >
            > Thank you
            >
            > --
            > Efe Aras
            > PortakalOfis Consulting
            > http://www.portakalofis.com
            > +90 212 356 74 20

          • Judah Phillips
            Message 5 of 9 , May 31 7:25 AM
              How about looking at the timestamp when the resource was requested from the
              server?

              Hint: It's in yr log files.

            • dhs1986@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 9 , May 31 1:51 PM
                Hi Efe,

                This can get a little tricky because there are a lot of variables - I don't know much about the Turkish television business but I would think you should be able to obtain Nielsen ratings data from Nielsen or the Turkish equivalent, though it's unlikely individual commercial ratings data would be available. In the US, Nielsen just introduced commercial viewing data today, although it's still not possible to see how many people viewed a specific spot at a specific time. Also it might be useful to ask about DVR device penetration rates in Turkey, and if the Turkish ratings service provides it, DVR ratings data so you can determine what percentage of viewers watched the program live and what percentage viewed it at a later date after recording it.

                I'd recommend that you first set up separate landing pages for each ad (e.g. 123.com/AdonChannelX, 123.com/AdOnChannelY) and then, if your budget allows, hire someone like Dynamic Logic or a similar vendor to conduct a survey of your site visitors during the period in question to provide some more context and/or corroboration.

                Hope this helps.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Or instead of different landing pages you can just use vanity URLs
                  that redirect to a page tagged with your analytic tool's campaign
                  tags. Then you get the benefit of whatever the tool happens to report
                  by default for campaigns (new visitors, conversions, visit duration,
                  etc.).

                  Since visitors will have to type in the URL from memory, you'll want
                  to keep it easy to remember (www.mysite.com/tvoffer or
                  www.mysite.com/free_car or something along those lines).

                  angie
                • Simon Featherstone
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
                    I have seen this done on Radio Advertising, where I was asked to visit "five
                    hundred minutes dot com", and visiting 500minutes.com does redirect you to a
                    different landing page on http://www.clickmobileonline.com
                    <http://www.clickmobileonline.com/> . This can then be tracked and
                    measured.

                    When I am asked to in TV/Radio/Newspaper/Magazine advertising to visit
                    www.mysite.com/offer, I am normally lazy and will just visit www.mysite.com
                    <http://www.mysite.com/> first, and then attempt to navigate to the offer I
                    am interested in.

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
                      Simon,

                      With respect to your point about the tendency for some to visit the site homepage rather than a given campaign-specific URL or landing page, this is why it can often be helpful to survey your visitors during the radio/TV/print ad campaign i.e. so that (hopefully) these visitors don't slip through the cracks when you're analyzing your campaign results.

                      David