RE: [webanalytics] Re: Internal banner measurement

  • Craig Scribner
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2007
      I don't want to trump Basaam's official answer, but in my experience you
      are correct, Clickmap doesn't pick up FLASH clicks or drop-down menu
      selection clicks by default the way it works for regular html links on a
      page. I know that Omniture has developed some code for ClickMap in
      FLASH, but I think you have to embed some Omniture code within the FLASH
      files you compile for this to work.

      best regards,

      Craig

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2007
        Jaimie,

        Thanks for the post. You bring up two points in your message and I'd
        like to address both.

        With respect to ClickMap tracking on non-IE browsers, some years ago, a
        few browsers did not support the version of JavaScript required for
        automatic link tracking. However, for several years now, all major
        browsers have had this support and thus ClickMap reflects activity from
        all those browsers.

        Regarding your question as to ClickMap's support of dynamic pages, I'll
        address this through an example. Imagine, if you will, a news site that
        has ever-changing links based on popular news stories. Further, let's
        assume the first link on the page referenced "story 1" for a few hours
        but then was replaced by a link referencing "story 2".

        * For simplicity and ease of implementation, with absolutely no
        additional tagging required, ClickMap is able to work in an
        out-of-the-box mode. In this mode, it will track the links from the
        aforementioned links to "story 1" and "story 2" *distinctly* (i.e.,
        since they're two unique links, it'll treat them as such) and running
        ClickMap on the page would display an overlay with metrics reflecting
        the current links on the page (i.e., clicks on the link to "story 2").
        Some customers want this behavior not only because of its
        ease-of-deployment (since it is out-of-the-box), but also because it
        provides an accurate representation of activity against the current
        version of the page (i.e., the current set of stories being displayed).

        * For flexibility and customization, ClickMap also supports a
        custom mode. This would allow clients to multiple dynamic links to be
        treated as one (e.g., tracking the specific "link slot" the stories all
        share as opposed to the specific story's link). In this case, if our
        customer wants to track clicks on the first link slot as opposed to
        unique clicks on the specific story displayed in that slot, ClickMap can
        also support this through some minimal tagging where an ID is associated
        with the slot that the links to "story 1" and "story 2" resided instead
        of to the stories themselves. Many customers want this behavior because
        it reflects the page real estate activity regardless of the
        dynamically-changing content.

        There are some very useful white papers in the Omniture KnowledgeBase
        (click the "Help" button inside SiteCatalyst) around ClickMap. Please
        refer to those for much more detail on this topic; please also feel free
        to call our LiveSupport group and they'd be more than happy to walk you
        through deciding which approach makes sense for you.

        Thanks, again.