Tracking Internal Search through GA

  • caz841
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2007
      I am trying to find a way of setting up my analytics package so I can
      see conversion rates from Internal Search terms, does anyone know of
      any good resources for this?
    • Narong, Jon
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2007
        What package are you using?

        If it's something like Omniture, you can simply associate an internal
        search term with a eVar.

        -jon

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2007
          I have done this with a few packages. Really depends on what analytics
          package you are using and what type of internal search you are
          running. If you could be more specific, maybe I could steer you in a
          direction.

          Thanks,

          Andrea

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "caz841" <caz841@...> wrote:

          > I am trying to find a way of setting up my analytics package so I can
          > see conversion rates from Internal Search terms, does anyone know of
          > any good resources for this?

        • mlillig2002
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2007
            I assuming caz841 is using Google Analytics based on his subject
            line ("Tracking Internal Search through GA"), but that's just a
            hunch. :)

            Matt

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea" <andrea@...> wrote:

            > I have done this with a few packages. Really depends on what
            analytics
            > package you are using and what type of internal search you are
            > running. If you could be more specific, maybe I could steer you in
            > direction.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Andrea
            >
            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "caz841" <caz841@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am trying to find a way of setting up my analytics package so
            I can
            > > see conversion rates from Internal Search terms, does anyone
            know of
            > > any good resources for this?

          • Judah Phillips
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3, 2007
              If we're going to talk vendors, I'm going to claim that it's rather simple
              with Unica NetInsight to identify internal search, subsequent success events
              in the path from internal search, conversion rates associated with those
              success events, and cool funnel visualizations too.

              Not too mention that with Unica you can slice and dice it all, crossing
              dimensions, every which way (but loose--Clint Eastwood fans), without
              relying on OLAP cubes to do it.

            • Mike Chipman
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2007
                There are a few things you can do to track this -- if a visitor performs
                multiple searches during a session, do you want to track all search
                phrases or only the last one?

                =================
                Mike Chipman
                XOONI
                p: (866) 376-5923
                f: (815) 301-8689
                mike@...
                http://www.xooni.com
                =================

                caz841 wrote:

                > I am trying to find a way of setting up my analytics package so I can
                > see conversion rates from Internal Search terms, does anyone know of
                > any good resources for this?

              • caz841
                Message 7 of 8 , May 5, 2007
                  I am using Google Analytics, I guess I would like to be able to see
                  what searches were done during a session and see which one then converted.

                  If it is a lot easier just the last search term would probably be OK.

                  At the moment I have a utmSetVar to track if users have used the
                  search but thats as far as I've got.

                  Thanks for your help!

                  Caroline

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Mike Chipman <mike@...> wrote:

                  > There are a few things you can do to track this -- if a visitor
                  performs
                  > multiple searches during a session, do you want to track all search
                  > phrases or only the last one?
                  >
                  > =================
                  > Mike Chipman
                  > XOONI
                  > p: (866) 376-5923
                  > f: (815) 301-8689
                  > mike@...
                  > http://www.xooni.com
                  > =================
                  >

                  > caz841 wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I am trying to find a way of setting up my analytics package so I can
                  > > see conversion rates from Internal Search terms, does anyone know of
                  > > any good resources for this?

                • Ed Noles
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 7, 2007
                    Hi Caroline,

                    We recently harvested search terms through the "user defined" segment
                    variable.

                    We only capture one term in GA and can the number of times a search
                    phrase was used, average page views and conversion rates.

                    It works pretty nicely this aggregated way rather than a laundry list of
                    search terms. I can see what searches are popular and ensure that
                    visitors are getting appropriate results.

                    -Ed