Calculating bounce rates (reject rates) using Omniture SiteCatalyst

  • Paul Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      Here is a question for any experienced Omniture SiteCatalyst users out
      there. I have recently done a baseline implementation on my site. I am
      trying to create a report showing bounce or reject rates for
      individual pages using the following formula:

      reject rate = [single access]/[entries]

      Problem appears to be that single access and entries are metrics in
      the Path section, and is not in the commerce or traffic section where
      it is possible to calculate metrics. I cannot find this metric or it's
      component metrics anywhere. I downloaded the whitepaper from Omniture
      which discusses how to calculate metrics. It even includes a list of
      commonly created metrics, and this one is in the list. I just can't
      get it done.

      Any advice, Paul
    • Jason Egan
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2007
        Paul,

        You can actually do this in the Excel client without any problems.
        Just run a "Most Popular Pages" report, select your pages and then
        select "single access" and entries as the metrics. Then, just create a
        formula for the rate in Excel. Voila!

        - Jason

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Smith" <pgsmith2000@...> wrote:

        > Here is a question for any experienced Omniture SiteCatalyst users out
        > there. I have recently done a baseline implementation on my site. I am
        > trying to create a report showing bounce or reject rates for
        > individual pages using the following formula:
        >
        > reject rate = [single access]/[entries]
        >
        > Problem appears to be that single access and entries are metrics in
        > the Path section, and is not in the commerce or traffic section where
        > it is possible to calculate metrics. I cannot find this metric or it's
        > component metrics anywhere. I downloaded the whitepaper from Omniture
        > which discusses how to calculate metrics. It even includes a list of
        > commonly created metrics, and this one is in the list. I just can't
        > get it done.
        >
        > Any advice, Paul

      • romanojon
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2007
          Hey Paul,

          You can perform that calculation in SiteCatalyst Pathing reports. You
          need to create a calculated metric which is [single access]/[entries].
          Its a relatively simple calculation. If you want to get tricky, use
          (1-[single access]/[entries]) as a measure of engagement. I have
          about 30 calculated metrics which I manage for our eCommerce site.

          Personally, in order to perform better multi-variate tests, quicker
          and more frequently, I developed an algorithm which brings several
          other features into the path reports which may be of use. Hit me up
          with an email and we can discuss how you might be able to make
          something like that work for your goals.

          Sincerely,

          Daniel W. Shields

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Egan" <egan.jason@...> wrote:

          > Paul,
          >
          > You can actually do this in the Excel client without any problems.
          > Just run a "Most Popular Pages" report, select your pages and then
          > select "single access" and entries as the metrics. Then, just create a
          > formula for the rate in Excel. Voila!
          >
          > - Jason
          >
          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Smith" <pgsmith2000@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Here is a question for any experienced Omniture SiteCatalyst users out
          > > there. I have recently done a baseline implementation on my site. I am
          > > trying to create a report showing bounce or reject rates for
          > > individual pages using the following formula:
          > >
          > > reject rate = [single access]/[entries]
          > >
          > > Problem appears to be that single access and entries are metrics in
          > > the Path section, and is not in the commerce or traffic section where
          > > it is possible to calculate metrics. I cannot find this metric or it's
          > > component metrics anywhere. I downloaded the whitepaper from Omniture
          > > which discusses how to calculate metrics. It even includes a list of
          > > commonly created metrics, and this one is in the list. I just can't
          > > get it done.
          > >
          > > Any advice, Paul

        • Craig Scribner
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2007
            I can even get this report right in SiteCatalyst. When I open the Most
            Popular Pages report, I have Single Access and Entries as available
            metrics. Don't be fooled if you don't see them using the "Manage
            Calculated Metrics" tool--open the report itself and click on the
            default metric and you'll see all the stuff that's available. I created
            a Bounce Rate metric that I can bookmark and schedule without having to
            export any data.

            ________________________________

            <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "Paul Smith" <pgsmith2000@...>
            wrote:

            > Here is a question for any experienced Omniture SiteCatalyst users out
            > there. I have recently done a baseline implementation on my site. I am
            > trying to create a report showing bounce or reject rates for
            > individual pages using the following formula:
            >
            > reject rate = [single access]/[entries]
            >
            > Problem appears to be that single access and entries are metrics in
            > the Path section, and is not in the commerce or traffic section where
            > it is possible to calculate metrics. I cannot find this metric or it's
            > component metrics anywhere. I downloaded the whitepaper from Omniture
            > which discusses how to calculate metrics. It even includes a list of
            > commonly created metrics, and this one is in the list. I just can't
            > get it done.
            >
            > Any advice, Paul

          • Ravi Pathak
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3, 2007
              Paul,
              Go to path and run most popular pages report and select metrics where you
              can define new metrics.

              You can have single access,entries,exits, reloads, daily unique , monthly
              unique,etc are those metrics which you can get after having path level-2
              enable for any traffic variable.

              Hope this helps

              Ravi

              On 5/4/07, Jason Egan <egan.jason@...> wrote:

              > Paul,
              >
              > You can actually do this in the Excel client without any problems.
              > Just run a "Most Popular Pages" report, select your pages and then
              > select "single access" and entries as the metrics. Then, just create a
              > formula for the rate in Excel. Voila!
              >
              > - Jason
              >
              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "Paul Smith" <pgsmith2000@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Here is a question for any experienced Omniture SiteCatalyst users out
              > > there. I have recently done a baseline implementation on my site. I am
              > > trying to create a report showing bounce or reject rates for
              > > individual pages using the following formula:
              > >
              > > reject rate = [single access]/[entries]
              > >
              > > Problem appears to be that single access and entries are metrics in
              > > the Path section, and is not in the commerce or traffic section where
              > > it is possible to calculate metrics. I cannot find this metric or it's
              > > component metrics anywhere. I downloaded the whitepaper from Omniture
              > > which discusses how to calculate metrics. It even includes a list of
              > > commonly created metrics, and this one is in the list. I just can't
              > > get it done.
              > >
              > > Any advice, Paul

            • plszydlik
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2007
                Hey Paul-

                In the Content Categories you can pull in the metric "Bounce Rate"
                definition below:

                Bounce Rate %
                The percentage of visitors who viewed only one page during the
                session and it was the specified page or a page within the specified
                content category. A high percentage shows visitors are "bouncing"
                off their arrival page without visiting another page on your site.

                Does that help you?
                Lori

                wrote:

                > Here is a question for any experienced Omniture SiteCatalyst users
                out
                > there. I have recently done a baseline implementation on my site.
                I am
                > trying to create a report showing bounce or reject rates for
                > individual pages using the following formula:
                >
                > reject rate = [single access]/[entries]
                >
                > Problem appears to be that single access and entries are metrics in
                > the Path section, and is not in the commerce or traffic section
                where
                > it is possible to calculate metrics. I cannot find this metric or
                it's
                > component metrics anywhere. I downloaded the whitepaper from
                Omniture
                > which discusses how to calculate metrics. It even includes a list
                of
                > commonly created metrics, and this one is in the list. I just can't
                > get it done.
                >
                > Any advice, Paul

              • ecuman79
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6, 2007
                  Paul,
                  Build this calculated metric when in the Most Popular Pgs report under the Traffic section
                  of reports. It is somewhat report specific therefore you won't always have the option to
                  select Single Access to build your calculated metric when in Pathing etc.

                  Hope this helps

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "plszydlik" <lszydlik@...> wrote:

                  > Hey Paul-
                  >
                  > In the Content Categories you can pull in the metric "Bounce Rate"
                  > definition below:
                  >
                  > Bounce Rate %
                  > The percentage of visitors who viewed only one page during the
                  > session and it was the specified page or a page within the specified
                  > content category. A high percentage shows visitors are "bouncing"
                  > off their arrival page without visiting another page on your site.
                  >

                  > Does that help you?
                  > Lori
                  >

                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Smith" <pgsmith2000@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Here is a question for any experienced Omniture SiteCatalyst users
                  > out
                  > > there. I have recently done a baseline implementation on my site.
                  > I am
                  > > trying to create a report showing bounce or reject rates for
                  > > individual pages using the following formula:
                  > >
                  > > reject rate = [single access]/[entries]
                  > >
                  > > Problem appears to be that single access and entries are metrics in
                  > > the Path section, and is not in the commerce or traffic section
                  > where
                  > > it is possible to calculate metrics. I cannot find this metric or
                  > it's
                  > > component metrics anywhere. I downloaded the whitepaper from
                  > Omniture
                  > > which discusses how to calculate metrics. It even includes a list
                  > of
                  > > commonly created metrics, and this one is in the list. I just can't
                  > > get it done.
                  > >
                  > > Any advice, Paul

                • Paul Smith
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 8, 2007
                    Thanks Ravi,

                    This is what I was looking for. I spent so much time looking at the
                    calculated metrics under traffic and ecommerce, I did not realize that
                    more variables were available with actual reports.

                    Paul

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Pathak" <ravipathak1@...>