Re: [webanalytics] Touch Clarity & Offermatica

  • Shorful Islam
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      Revenue Science also offer a similar service

      On 5/1/07, Marie <virt2go@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > In a recent press release, Omniture announced their purchase of Touch
      > Clarity. I'm not familiar with their services - does anyone on this forum
      > have any experience with them? How is Touch Clarity's service offering
      > different or similar to Offermatica? Are they comparable? Are there any
      > other big players you can recommend in the same field?
      >
      > Thanks for your input.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Marie

    • Jim Sterne
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        At 01:26 PM 5/1/2007, Marie wrote:
        >In a recent press release, Omniture announced their purchase of
        >Touch Clarity. I'm not familiar with their services - does anyone on
        >this forum have any experience with them? How is Touch Clarity's
        >service offering different or similar to Offermatica? Are they
        >comparable? Are there any other big players you can recommend in the
        >same field?

        The 75,000 foot perspective (twice as high as
        the airliners fly) suggests that Offermatica is
        designed for testing the results of a specific page.
        The variables are headlines, graphics, blocks of
        body copy, call to action, etc.

        Touch Clarity is intended to test variable journeys
        through a variety of website content - i.e., multiple
        pages / alternative surfing scenarios.

        OK - now it's time to hear from Brent Hieggelke
        and Matthew Roche who will correct me....

        Oh - and one last plug - both companies will be in
        San Francisco next week at the Emetrics Summit.
        http://www.emetrics.org/2007/sanfrancisco/

        Emetrics Summit, The Big Picture
        http://www.emetrics.org
        Optimizing Online Marketing Value
        San Francisco, May 7-9
        Washington D.C., Oct 14-17
      • markogne
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          First, the disclaimer... I'm the VP of Marketing for Acxiom Digital
          and previously the same for Kefta. The short story is that Kefta
          pioneered visitor-centric targeting and testing some seven years ago
          and Acxiom acquired Kefta in March.

          I love to hear investigative questions like yours, Marie. This is an
          exciting and new industry and there's a lot of information to digest
          about the subject. Kudo's to you, the fact that you're asking these
          questions makes me believe that you're an aggressive leader in
          driving results for your online operations.

          The two companies you mention have very different approaches and
          their applications fit very different needs. Before placing these two
          approaches toe-to-toe, I would recommend that you first ask yourself
          some questions, below. And, yes… I wouldn't mind your taking a look
          at Kefta as a potential partner:-)

          The first question I would recommend you ponder is about your
          business… what is it that you're trying to solve and are there any
          attributes of your business or industry that you need to keep in
          mind? From a high level, a testing toole may be appropriate if
          you're trying to solve for foundational issues like placement of a
          call to action button, but a targeting solution may be more
          appropriate if your operations are rather savvy and you are now
          trying to carry sustained increases in conversion for the long run.

          The second question I would recommend you ponder is about your site
          visitors and marketing campaigns… what portion of your site visitors
          are new versus returning, what differences might exist in the needs
          of those visitors, and what is it that you want a visitor to do?
          Again, from a high level, a testing tool may be appropriate if your
          visitors are largely new visitors with similar needs and your goal
          for them is the same regardless of who they are. Contrasting this, a
          targeting solution become much more valuable when visitor needs and
          your objectives for them differ.

          Kefta exists on the targeting side of these questions. Having said
          that, our approach is very different. The solution is called Dynamic
          Targeting and the primary drivers are:
          - Individual visitor profiles… targeting is about unique people and
          their needs and goals.
          - Delivery of relevant messages across all key online channels… your
          site visitors view you as being the same business whether you engage
          them on the site, in an email, or another asset like search or banner
          ads. Dynamic Targeting allows you to keep the message consistent and
          integrated across each of these channels. This delivers both results
          and branding consistency.
          - Flexibility in methodology… whether you have marketing insights
          that you need to use, or you want sophisticated algorithms to direct
          your campaign, Dynamic Targeting supports either direction or a
          combination of the two.
          - Flexibility in customer touch-points… whether you need to deliver
          multiple assets on a page, multiple pages in a path, or messages
          across channels, Kefta has the tools and best practices to help you.
          - Targeting from first click through repeat purchase… Kefta has
          developed technology and best practice that allows clients to start
          targeting explicit and implied visitor needs from the very first
          click.

          Again, Kudos' and thank you for asking such a good question.

          Mark

          www.kefta.com

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Marie <virt2go@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > In a recent press release, Omniture announced their purchase of
          Touch Clarity. I'm not familiar with their services - does anyone on
          this forum have any experience with them? How is Touch Clarity's
          service offering different or similar to Offermatica? Are they
          comparable? Are there any other big players you can recommend in the
          same field?

          > Thanks for your input.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Marie

        • Anil Batra (ZAAZ)
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            Offermatica and Touch Clarity offer on-site Behavioral Targeting and
            optimization services that you can use to target ads, content, products etc.
            While Revenue Science is Behavioral Targeting network and they also offer
            on-site behavioral ad targeting to publishers.

            On 5/2/07, Shorful Islam <shorful@...> wrote:

            > Revenue Science also offer a similar service
            >
            > On 5/1/07, Marie <virt2go@... <virt2go%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > In a recent press release, Omniture announced their purchase of Touch
            > > Clarity. I'm not familiar with their services - does anyone on this
            > forum
            > > have any experience with them? How is Touch Clarity's service offering
            > > different or similar to Offermatica? Are they comparable? Are there any
            > > other big players you can recommend in the same field?
            > >
            > > Thanks for your input.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > Marie

            Anil Batra
            http://webanalysis.blogspot.com
            Web Analytics, Behavioral Targeting and Online Advertising Blog

          • matt.jacobs
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2007
              I can't speak for Matt or Brent here, but I can say that utilizing
              an MVT across multiple "pages" (however one chooses to define the
              pathway, whether it starts with the advertising or on the site
              itself) has a multiplicative effect. Relegating MVT to a single page
              provides a lot of value but arguably not as much as it can when it's
              set up across much more than a single page. Those MVT folks might
              define this as a content journey, too...

              Jim, just to clarify your point here a bit, are you stating that
              entities like TouchClarity would be more high-level (say, optimize
              for a given customer segment) and that more granular elements within
              that segment are best tested with a MVT?

              I'd be surprised if folks at Offermatica, Optimost, et al said their
              tools weren't designed to specifically test variable journeys, and
              I'd be a bit surprised if companies like TouchClarity said they
              weren't designed to be fairly granular too.

              Very curious to hear how the experts from each of those companies
              weigh in here... (I'm too curious to wait 'till I see everyone at
              eMetrics!).

              MJ

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sterne <jsterne@...> wrote:

              > At 01:26 PM 5/1/2007, Marie wrote:
              > >In a recent press release, Omniture announced their purchase of
              > >Touch Clarity. I'm not familiar with their services - does anyone
              on
              > >this forum have any experience with them? How is Touch Clarity's
              > >service offering different or similar to Offermatica? Are they
              > >comparable? Are there any other big players you can recommend in
              the
              > >same field?
              >
              > The 75,000 foot perspective (twice as high as
              > the airliners fly) suggests that Offermatica is
              > designed for testing the results of a specific page.
              > The variables are headlines, graphics, blocks of
              > body copy, call to action, etc.
              >
              > Touch Clarity is intended to test variable journeys
              > through a variety of website content - i.e., multiple
              > pages / alternative surfing scenarios.
              >
              > OK - now it's time to hear from Brent Hieggelke
              > and Matthew Roche who will correct me....
              >
              > Oh - and one last plug - both companies will be in
              > San Francisco next week at the Emetrics Summit.
              > http://www.emetrics.org/2007/sanfrancisco/

              > Emetrics Summit, The Big Picture
              > http://www.emetrics.org
              > Optimizing Online Marketing Value
              > San Francisco, May 7-9
              > Washington D.C., Oct 14-17

            • Paul Holstein
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                I haven't heard anyone mention them but you should also look at
                sitebrand http://sitebrand.com for behavioral targeting. We've had
                some glitches implementing their solution, but we are hopeful that it
                will work for us.

                --Paul

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "markogne" <mark@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > - Targeting from first click through repeat purchase… Kefta has
                > developed technology and best practice that allows clients to start
                > targeting explicit and implied visitor needs from the very first
                > click.
                >
                > Again, Kudos' and thank you for asking such a good question.
                >
                > Mark
                >

                > www.kefta.com
                >

                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Marie <virt2go@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > In a recent press release, Omniture announced their purchase of
                > Touch Clarity. I'm not familiar with their services - does anyone
                on
                > this forum have any experience with them? How is Touch Clarity's
                > service offering different or similar to Offermatica? Are they
                > comparable? Are there any other big players you can recommend in

              • Brent Hieggelke
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                  I have been watching this thread to see what the other folks here had to
                  say before chiming in, thanks for the explicit invite Jim. The way I
                  explain multivariate testing and landing page optimization vendors
                  (Offermatica and Optimost) is that they help primarily with site
                  structural questions....think of the optimal layout of a grocery
                  store...where should the milk go, where should the deli be located, etc.
                  You answer that question and then move on to solve another structural
                  question. Or they answer tactical questions such as should this button
                  be red, blue, yellow or green? Should it go upper right or lower left
                  on the page to get more clicks? Or which combination of these elements
                  works best?

                  This is completely different from optimizing the customer-centric, 1 to
                  1 marketing opportunity presented when each inbound visitor chooses to
                  visit to your web site. Most web sites today are ignorant---they ignore
                  customer feedback, and treat all customers the same, by and large. This
                  would not be acceptable through other channels and in the future, won't
                  be acceptable through the Web either. Touch Clarity was strategically
                  architected to enable your web site to listen, and respond to each
                  customer intelligently, based on their individually expressed wants and
                  needs, with the most relevant and engaging content served up, from a
                  range currently available content and offers. It's fully automated, and
                  continuously self-learning in doing so. The technology considers each
                  individual visitor's profile comprised of hundreds of variables
                  collected just like your web analytics solution collects data, with each
                  variable containing a small amount of predictive power, it decides what
                  content set is best to serve this visitor on this specific page and then
                  triggers the serving of the targeted content from your own CMS. And
                  the really incredible part that hooked me on joining the company just
                  over a year ago: it targets versus a concurrent control group, so it can
                  produce real-time uplift reports, which are in the range of 20-200% for
                  typical customers.

                  I will be at eMetrics Summit speaking on this topic on Wednesday and
                  will be happy to talk to anyone who wants to listen.

                  -Brent

                  Brent Hieggelke
                  VP Strategic Marketing
                  bhieggelke@... <mailto:bhieggelke@...>
                  503.702.3547

                  THIS EMAIL MESSAGE (AND ANY ATTACHMENTS) CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL
                  INFORMATION FOR THE SOLE USE OF THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, AND ANY REVIEW,
                  COPYING, DISCLOSURE OR DISTRIBUTION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU ARE
                  NOT AN INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS MESSAGE AND ITS CONTENTS, PLEASE
                  CONTACT THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY AND PERMANENTLY DELETE THE ORIGINAL AND
                  ANY COPIES. THANK YOU.

                  2114 NE 36th Ave.
                  Portland, OR 97212
                  www.omniture.com <http://www.omniture.com>

                  ________________________________

                  I haven't heard anyone mention them but you should also look at
                  sitebrand http://sitebrand.com <http://sitebrand.com> for behavioral

                  <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , Marie <virt2go@> wrote:

                  > > Hello,
                  > >
                  > > In a recent press release, Omniture announced their purchase of
                  > Touch Clarity. I'm not familiar with their services - does anyone
                  on
                  > this forum have any experience with them? How is Touch Clarity's
                  > service offering different or similar to Offermatica? Are they
                  > comparable? Are there any other big players you can recommend in
                  the
                  > same field?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for your input.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Marie

                • Jim Sterne
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 4, 2007
                    At 08:57 PM 5/3/2007, Brent Hieggelke wrote:

                    >I have been watching this thread to see what the other folks here had to
                    >say before chiming in, thanks for the explicit invite Jim.

                    Nobody can explain it better than you.

                    >I will be at eMetrics Summit speaking on this topic on Wednesday and
                    >will be happy to talk to anyone who wants to listen.

                    Mutual back scratching!
                    Thanks.