Re: Internal banner measurement

  • Jaimie Scott
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2007
      Bassam,

      Before this thread I had never heard of the issue with Clickmap and
      non-IE browsers, but I was told on more than one occassion by Omniture
      that Clickmap has issues with dynamic pages and that is why the
      Clickmap numbers do not necessarily agree with the other Omniture
      data. Is this still the case?

      Jaimie

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Bassam Salem" <BSalem@...> wrote:

      > Dustin & Colleagues,
      >

      > While the statement below around ClickMap used to be valid some time
      > ago, please know that Omniture's ClickMap tool works on all major
      > browsers. Please feel free to call our LiveSupport group if you'd like
      > more detailed information. Thanks very much!
      >

      > Sincerely,
      >

      > Bassam
      >

      > Bassam T. Salem
      > Director, Worldwide Client Services Operations
      > bsalem@... <mailto:bsalem@...>
      > 801.722.7000 x 331 tel
      > 435.602.0712 cel
      > 801.880.0384 fax
      >

      > 550 East Timpanogos Circle
      > Orem, UT 84097
      > www.omniture.com <http://www.omniture.com>
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Craig Scribner
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2007
        I don't want to trump Basaam's official answer, but in my experience you
        are correct, Clickmap doesn't pick up FLASH clicks or drop-down menu
        selection clicks by default the way it works for regular html links on a
        page. I know that Omniture has developed some code for ClickMap in
        FLASH, but I think you have to embed some Omniture code within the FLASH
        files you compile for this to work.

        best regards,

        Craig

        ________________________________

        <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "Bassam Salem" <BSalem@...>
        wrote:

        > Dustin & Colleagues,
        >

        > While the statement below around ClickMap used to be valid some time
        > ago, please know that Omniture's ClickMap tool works on all major
        > browsers. Please feel free to call our LiveSupport group if you'd like
        > more detailed information. Thanks very much!
        >

        > Sincerely,
        >

        > Bassam
        >

        > Bassam T. Salem
        > Director, Worldwide Client Services Operations
        > bsalem@... <mailto:bsalem@...>
        > 801.722.7000 x 331 tel
        > 435.602.0712 cel
        > 801.880.0384 fax
        >

        > 550 East Timpanogos Circle
        > Orem, UT 84097
        > www.omniture.com <http://www.omniture.com <http://www.omniture.com> >
        >

        > ________________________________
        >
        > From: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
        > I only use ClickMap for a general feel, not when more accuracy is
        > needed. This is because ClickMap only measures the activity of IE
        > users. IE is the only browser whose API supports tracking clicks by
        > x,y coordinates and thus allows for a tool such as ClickMap.
        >
        > Unless you can show that your non-IE users behave the same as your IE
        > users, you can't extrapolate a true number. A Stanford classmate and
        > I did a project centered around this topic.
        >
        > So to answer your question is most likely no.
        >
        > Dustin Wallace
        > SDN Web Analyst
        > Sun Microsystems, Inc.
        > http://java.sun.com <http://java.sun.com> <http://java.sun.com
        <http://java.sun.com> >

        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
        > <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "Pablo" <pablonoej@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Lisa and Bassam,
        > > Thanks for your responses. I will communicate with Omniture's
        support
        > > to try implementing this.
        > > By the way, Bassam, do you think that Omniture's ClickMap would be a
        > > good substitute for tracking internal links?
        > > Regards
        > > Pablo

      • Bassam Salem
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2007
          Jaimie,

          Thanks for the post. You bring up two points in your message and I'd
          like to address both.

          With respect to ClickMap tracking on non-IE browsers, some years ago, a
          few browsers did not support the version of JavaScript required for
          automatic link tracking. However, for several years now, all major
          browsers have had this support and thus ClickMap reflects activity from
          all those browsers.

          Regarding your question as to ClickMap's support of dynamic pages, I'll
          address this through an example. Imagine, if you will, a news site that
          has ever-changing links based on popular news stories. Further, let's
          assume the first link on the page referenced "story 1" for a few hours
          but then was replaced by a link referencing "story 2".

          * For simplicity and ease of implementation, with absolutely no
          additional tagging required, ClickMap is able to work in an
          out-of-the-box mode. In this mode, it will track the links from the
          aforementioned links to "story 1" and "story 2" *distinctly* (i.e.,
          since they're two unique links, it'll treat them as such) and running
          ClickMap on the page would display an overlay with metrics reflecting
          the current links on the page (i.e., clicks on the link to "story 2").
          Some customers want this behavior not only because of its
          ease-of-deployment (since it is out-of-the-box), but also because it
          provides an accurate representation of activity against the current
          version of the page (i.e., the current set of stories being displayed).

          * For flexibility and customization, ClickMap also supports a
          custom mode. This would allow clients to multiple dynamic links to be
          treated as one (e.g., tracking the specific "link slot" the stories all
          share as opposed to the specific story's link). In this case, if our
          customer wants to track clicks on the first link slot as opposed to
          unique clicks on the specific story displayed in that slot, ClickMap can
          also support this through some minimal tagging where an ID is associated
          with the slot that the links to "story 1" and "story 2" resided instead
          of to the stories themselves. Many customers want this behavior because
          it reflects the page real estate activity regardless of the
          dynamically-changing content.

          There are some very useful white papers in the Omniture KnowledgeBase
          (click the "Help" button inside SiteCatalyst) around ClickMap. Please
          refer to those for much more detail on this topic; please also feel free
          to call our LiveSupport group and they'd be more than happy to walk you
          through deciding which approach makes sense for you.

          Thanks, again.