Re: 5 year projections?

  • Stephen Turner
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2007
      -- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, MM <bristolnational@...> wrote:

      > Effectively, you are getting involved in a very interesting project
      > around Predictive Modeling and Predective Analytics. What you need
      > first and foremost is the predictors, or facts that are likely to
      > influence your traffic. For example, depending on your site, the
      > demographics and siteographics (like Gender, Age, Purchase History,
      > Online Campaigns etc). Hopefully, you will be able to capture a
      > majority or some of these predictors and come up with a llinear
      > equation around the behavior. We have independently worked on a
      > similar modeling methdology for a B2C client and were able to come
      > up with a model (using linear, logarithmic, quadratic, and
      > exponential functions) ofcourse factoring seasonality (christmas,
      > halloween), key media events (anagelina's baby, cricket world cup)
      > etc. to stabilise the data points. The point is, it can be done,
      > once you have your factors established it is a matter of having some
      > data mining people rolling up their sleeves and getting it done.

      Maybe I'm just ignorant about the power of these methods, but I have
      to say, I would be very skeptical about using any such high-powered
      mathematical models in this sort of problem. Using them for a
      short-term estimate is one thing, but for a long-term estimate the
      inputs to the equations are so much guesswork that the outputs are
      going to be complete guesswork too. Especially if you have quadratic
      and exponential functions in there, your guesses are going to be
      multiplied upon guesses.

      The problem is, the more sophisticated the mathematical model (1) the
      more wrong it's likely to be given slightly wrong inputs; but (2) the
      more people are likely to trust it because it looks clever. If you use
      rough estimates of the sort described earlier in this thread, I think
      you are at least as likely to get good answers, and as a bonus people
      will have a good feeling for how wrong the answers might be.

      --
      Stephen Turner
      CTO, ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2007
        Sounds like sensible advice. I suspect the processes which underly a lot
        of the long tailed distributions we see scattered all over web access
        data will be extremely difficult to predict with any certainty the scale
        of an effect. For example, what's the likelihood of the site getting
        slashdotted, and how relatively popular might that link be.

        Damian

        --

        Damian Connell
        Red Isle IT Consultancy

        Braemoray
        Forsyth Street
        Hopeman
        Elgin
        IV30 5SY

        01343 508 109

        www.redisle.com
        damianc@...
      • Dean Abbott
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2007
          While it is true that nonlinear models are more susceptible to
          unstable behavior in models that extrapolate, this doesn't need to be
          the case if care is taken in building and deploying the models. Some
          model types extrapolate more conservatively than others (linear models
          for example), but even with wildly nonlinear models, you can prevent
          them from behaving badly by restricting the extent of their
          extrapolation--this is a topic that would take more time to develop
          however.

          But even this, in my opinion, misses the real issue. Any quantitative
          decision-making process (business rules, rules of thumb, predictive
          models) take observed data and turns them into predictions. That is
          why the most important step with any quantitative analysis is the
          validation of the model/rules/guesses. Validation can be done from
          data that is set aside purely for validation, by simulation, by
          inspection by those who know the domain area. If the predictive model,
          then, finds interesting predictor variables and is not overfit, and
          validates well, there is no reason not to use it. (It may be that it
          isn't worth the investment in time and resources to build the model to
          begin with, but that is entirely another question).
        • Rachel
          Message 4 of 20 , May 2, 2007
            Man, am I with you on that. It drives me crazy, and this will
            definitely be part of the doc I send to them. Thanks for the backup!

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Pascoe" <dpascoe@...> wrote:

            > Rachel,
            > I'm fascinated with the phrasing - "5 year goals for website growth" -
            > this assumes that growth, not stagnation or deterioration, will occur.
            >
            > Redesign and hiring of a full-time editor is no guarantee of
            > improvement. As an example, I reviewed a site just last week that has
            > been recently redesigned and relaunched, using .net technology. The
            > way this site has been designed has made all but the first page
            > invisible to Google. To get visibility for their content, they will
            > have to pay for it, losing the cost advantage derived from good
            > natural search placement.
            >
            > Any assumption of increased traffic can not be made without taking
            > into account site structural and quality aspects, privacy,
            > accessibility (an increasingly important issue), and utilization of
            > techniques and technogies that result in good natural search
            > placement. All these issues can impact the ability of the site to
            > help you meet the ultimate objective - raise more money. On- and
            > off-line activities can drive more people to the site, but if the
            > experience is bad, and donations do not increase, the objective will
            > not have been achieved.
            >
            > The question seems to imply that simply having more visitors is the
            > objective....it has been my experience that when somebody asks you a
            > question like this one, and you answer it, you will get to answer FOR
            > it later :-)

          • Rachel
            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2007
              Wow, I've finally been able to go over all of your comments and I have
              to say, I'm overwhelmed and in a bit of a jam. Last June we started
              using GA (previously we were using WebTrends, which overinflated our
              numbers due to poor configuration). So, this means we really only have
              less than a years worth of web data to go on and any sort of
              predictive modeling will be tricky, no? I can do my best with what I
              have, but as someone who has never undertaken a task like this, my gut
              says to use the data from the past year and try to project over the
              next five years assuming everything is the same (which as we all said,
              will definitely not be) and make it clear that this data is bogus.

              Stephen, I'm definitely with you on making this look less scientific
              for fear that they may take it more seriously.

              I'll let you know how it goes!

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Turner"