Automatic tagging via Microsoft CMS

  • siegert_dierickx
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hello,

      I am currently looking for information on how to automate the process
      of tagging a web site via the Microsoft CMS.
      For this particular case we want to automate the process of adding the
      different WebTrends tags to the site, but if you have any info at all
      on how others WA tags such as from Omniture, WSSi, Google Analytics,
      etc tags have been implemented through the MS CMS, it's more than welcome.

      Is there an expert of Microsoft CMS out there? Or anybody some
      experience who can point me to the necessary guideline documents?

      Thanks in advance,
      Siegert
      www.webanalytics.be
    • MM
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2007
        Siegert -

        From an Implementation perspective, incorporating WebTrends tags ought to be
        no different than implementing any ASP based solution like WSSI, GA, or
        Omniture.
        The key attribute here is the ability to perform a global include (in the
        event that you are indeed using the ASP version of WebTrends).
        When I say a Global include I am referring to incorporating the Black Box
        Code (WebTrends provides you) on all the pages of your website. If you want
        to perform customizations on specific page or page(s), you can do so by
        modifying the vendor provided JS file, or bake some client side scripts that
        can customize the features for your site.

        If you have any specific question on the implementation aspect of this, feel
        free to e mail me and I can provide you with more specifics.

        Cheers,

        On 4/30/07, siegert_dierickx <siegert_dierickx@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I am currently looking for information on how to automate the process
        > of tagging a web site via the Microsoft CMS.
        > For this particular case we want to automate the process of adding the
        > different WebTrends tags to the site, but if you have any info at all
        > on how others WA tags such as from Omniture, WSSi, Google Analytics,
        > etc tags have been implemented through the MS CMS, it's more than welcome.
        >
        > Is there an expert of Microsoft CMS out there? Or anybody some
        > experience who can point me to the necessary guideline documents?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Siegert
        > www.webanalytics.be

        KS

      • Judah Phillips
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2007
          Some basic questions to consider:

          -How are you going to ensure all pages are tagged?

          -How are you going to ensure that you can centrally manage all your tags
          when you start adding attributes?

          -How are you going to manage change? say one tag needs this and one tag
          needs that and one tag needs both, this and that. a single include will not
          cut it.

          -How are you going to test tag configuration?

          All rhetorical, no need to answer... 8^)

        • siegert_dierickx
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2007
            Thanks KS, but I do know how the tagging works for WebTrends, and
            other tools. I have been working with them for over 3 years now.

            My question was specific for integration with Microsoft CMS.
            Including the default JavaScript isn't a problem (add it to a
            template, header or footer, and you can start). Afterwards you can get
            in detail by adding specific tags (such as
            content/subcontent/commerce/etc tags) to specific pages.

            We have done it for some clients via our own developed CMS
            (onisystem.eu), and for Tridion and others. So we do know what tagging
            is about.

            What I am looking for is how you can automate the process of adding
            specific tags to different pages via the Microsoft CMS.

            Thanks,
            Siegert
            www.webanalytics.be