Problems measuring banner campaigns

  • Marco Friedmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2007
      hello everybody,

      we are running a banner campaign on various platforms with varoius
      formats using a media planning agency. The agency reports ad
      impressions, clicks and click rate. The banner links use a parameter
      code, telling as the platform, the format and the topic.

      We set up a parameter analysis in Webtrends 8 (logfile-based), where
      we can see the hits and the visits of the landing pages, sorted by
      banner parameter.

      Our defined metric is: real CTR = ad impression/ visit landing page

      Since the clickrate of the agency and our clickrate differ, we asked
      the agency and they informed us, that a difference of 10 % would be
      normal. Fine. First four weeks everything went fine, but then the
      difference started to increase, now 80 %. We didn't change WebTrends.

      Did you encounter similar problems and how did you solve them?

      Thanks in advance for a good advice :-)

      Marco
    • Alex Cohen
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2007
        Hi Marco,

        As with most analytics, you're playing a game of "What changed?" There
        are two key things you want to keep an eye on:

        1.) Have you changed any elements of the campaign - Site, creative,
        offer, etc?

        2.) What is the CTR by partner site

        In my experience evaluating front end banner campaigns from a media
        agency against back-end data from WebTrends, I saw a noticeable drop
        from click to landing page from some low quality partners, in particular
        WhenU.com.

        -Alex

        Alex Cohen

        Strategic Analyst