Internal banner measurement

  • Pablo
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 24 2:29 PM
      Hi Everybody!
      I'm using Omniture to track internal banners (from one page in the
      site to another page in the same site) by adding a dynamic component
      to the destiny URL. So if, for example, the destiny URL is
      www.pepepe.com it would become www.pepepe.com?src=blablabla although
      it remains the same page. The problem arises when the user after
      clicking that banner and reaching www.pepepe.com?src=blablabla follows
      another link to another page (let's say www.pepepe.com/contact.html)
      and then come back (with the back button) to
      www.pepepe.com?src=blablabla. In that case Omniture will count two
      instances for ?src=blablabla although the user made only one click in
      that banner.
      I would appreciate if anybody could help me to avoid this to happen.
      Thank you very much!
      Pablo
    • Narong, Jon
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 24 4:02 PM
        Pablo,
        Are you using the tracking codes to simply determine
        clickthroughs/instances or to correlate it to various success events on
        your site?

        To get the number of unique visitors associated with a particular
        tracking code should be relatively simple if you have data warehouse
        enabled.

        Jon

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 24 4:34 PM
          I've heard there's an Omniture thing (plugin? script?) called
          "getValOnce." We plan to implement this getValOnce on our sites to take
          care of the exact issue you described. (But I'm obviously not the
          implementation expert.)

          Maybe if you contact Omniture support or your account rep, they could
          provide you further details.

          cheers,
          Lisa

          Pablo wrote:

          >Hi Everybody!
          >I'm using Omniture to track internal banners (from one page in the
          >site to another page in the same site) by adding a dynamic component
          >to the destiny URL. So if, for example, the destiny URL is
          >www.pepepe.com it would become www.pepepe.com?src=blablabla although
          >it remains the same page. The problem arises when the user after
          >clicking that banner and reaching www.pepepe.com?src=blablabla follows
          >another link to another page (let's say www.pepepe.com/contact.html)
          >and then come back (with the back button) to
          >www.pepepe.com?src=blablabla. In that case Omniture will count two
          >instances for ?src=blablabla although the user made only one click in
          >that banner.
          >I would appreciate if anybody could help me to avoid this to happen.
          >Thank you very much!
          >Pablo

        • Bassam Salem
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 24 5:46 PM
            Pablo,

            Lisa is right. Omniture's Consulting team has developed a small plug-in
            to handle exactly the situation you mention. If you are in an active
            consulting engagement with Omniture, please discuss this with your
            Implementation Consultant before proceeding. The plug-in is included in
            this e-mail for your reference but I'd like to reiterate my suggestion
            to consult your Implementation Consultant who would be more familiar
            with your configuration. If you'd like to engage an Omniture
            Implementation Consultant, please contact our LiveSupport organization,
            your account manager, or your account executive.

            /*********************************************************************
            * Function getValOnce(v,c,e): return v if that value is not found in
            * the cookie 'c'. If v has a value, write the cookie
            * 'c' which expires at 'e' days (0 for session).
            * v = Value to write in cookie or return
            * c = Cookie Name - something like 's_campaign'
            * e = Number of days to expiration - 0 for session
            * Returns:
            * v or ''
            *
            * TEST CASES:
            * 1. Page A: s.campaign="123"
            * 2. Page A: s.campaign=s.getValOnce(s.campaign,"cname",0)
            * 3. Page B: s.campaign="" (cookie value is not overwritten)
            * 4. Page A: (user clicks "back") s.campaign=""
            * This will de-inflate click-throughs due to back button
            *********************************************************************/

            /*
            * Plugin: getValOnce 0.2 - get a value once per session or number of
            days
            */
            s.getValOnce=new Function("v","c","e",""
            +"var s=this,k=s.c_r(c),a=new Date;e=e?e:0;if(v){a.setTime(a.getTime("
            +")+e*86400000);s.c_w(c,v,e?a:0);}return v==k?'':v");

            Sincerely,

            Bassam

            Bassam T. Salem
            Director, Worldwide Client Services Operations
            bsalem@... <mailto:bsalem@...>
            801.722.7000 x 331 tel
            435.602.0712 cel
            801.880.0384 fax

            550 East Timpanogos Circle
            Orem, UT 84097
            www.omniture.com <http://www.omniture.com>

            ________________________________

            Pablo wrote:

            >Hi Everybody!
            >I'm using Omniture to track internal banners (from one page in the
            >site to another page in the same site) by adding a dynamic component
            >to the destiny URL. So if, for example, the destiny URL is
            >www.pepepe.com it would become www.pepepe.com?src=blablabla although
            >it remains the same page. The problem arises when the user after
            >clicking that banner and reaching www.pepepe.com?src=blablabla follows
            >another link to another page (let's say www.pepepe.com/contact.html)
            >and then come back (with the back button) to
            >www.pepepe.com?src=blablabla. In that case Omniture will count two
            >instances for ?src=blablabla although the user made only one click in
            >that banner.
            >I would appreciate if anybody could help me to avoid this to happen.
            >Thank you very much!
            >Pablo

          • Pablo
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 25 6:56 AM
              Hi Jon,
              Thanks for your response. I'm using tracking codes to determine
              clickthroughs at the moment.
              Regards
              Pablo

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Narong, Jon"
              <jonathan.narong@...> wrote:

              > Pablo,
              > Are you using the tracking codes to simply determine
              > clickthroughs/instances or to correlate it to various success events on
              > your site?
              >
              > To get the number of unique visitors associated with a particular
              > tracking code should be relatively simple if you have data warehouse
              > enabled.
              >
              > Jon
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Pablo
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 25 7:00 AM
                Hi Lisa and Bassam,
                Thanks for your responses. I will communicate with Omniture's support
                to try implementing this.
                By the way, Bassam, do you think that Omniture's ClickMap would be a
                good substitute for tracking internal links?
                Regards
                Pablo

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Bassam Salem" <BSalem@...> wrote:

                > Pablo,
                >

                > Lisa is right. Omniture's Consulting team has developed a small plug-in
                > to handle exactly the situation you mention. If you are in an active
                > consulting engagement with Omniture, please discuss this with your
                > Implementation Consultant before proceeding. The plug-in is included in
                > this e-mail for your reference but I'd like to reiterate my suggestion
                > to consult your Implementation Consultant who would be more familiar
                > with your configuration. If you'd like to engage an Omniture
                > Implementation Consultant, please contact our LiveSupport organization,
                > your account manager, or your account executive.
                >

                > /*********************************************************************
                > * Function getValOnce(v,c,e): return v if that value is not found in
                > * the cookie 'c'. If v has a value, write the cookie
                > * 'c' which expires at 'e' days (0 for session).
                > * v = Value to write in cookie or return
                > * c = Cookie Name - something like 's_campaign'
                > * e = Number of days to expiration - 0 for session
                > * Returns:
                > * v or ''
                > *
                > * TEST CASES:
                > * 1. Page A: s.campaign="123"
                > * 2. Page A: s.campaign=s.getValOnce(s.campaign,"cname",0)
                > * 3. Page B: s.campaign="" (cookie value is not overwritten)
                > * 4. Page A: (user clicks "back") s.campaign=""
                > * This will de-inflate click-throughs due to back button
                > *********************************************************************/
                >
                > /*
                > * Plugin: getValOnce 0.2 - get a value once per session or number of
                > days
                > */
                > s.getValOnce=new Function("v","c","e",""
                > +"var s=this,k=s.c_r(c),a=new Date;e=e?e:0;if(v){a.setTime(a.getTime("
                > +")+e*86400000);s.c_w(c,v,e?a:0);}return v==k?'':v");
                >

                > Sincerely,
                >

                > Bassam
                >

                > Bassam T. Salem
                > Director, Worldwide Client Services Operations
                > bsalem@... <mailto:bsalem@...>
                > 801.722.7000 x 331 tel
                > 435.602.0712 cel
                > 801.880.0384 fax
                >

                > 550 East Timpanogos Circle
                > Orem, UT 84097
                > www.omniture.com <http://www.omniture.com>
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Craig Scribner
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 25 9:40 AM
                  If you have visits or visitors enabled as available metrics for the
                  Omniture variable you're populating with the src= parameter, then it's
                  no big deal that you're multi-counting the instances that variable was
                  populated.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 26 7:17 AM
                    Craig:
                    That`s exactly the point: I only know how many times the page with the
                    src= parameter was "viewed". I don`t know how many "visits" it has.
                    Anyway, Bassam in a previous post told me about a code I need to
                    implement to substract views due to the use of the back button (since
                    I only care about clicks on the link I set to reach the src= page).
                    However your comment makes me think about the need of enabling the
                    variable visits to measure this.
                    Regards
                    Pablo

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Scribner"
                    <craigscribner@...> wrote:

                    > If you have visits or visitors enabled as available metrics for the
                    > Omniture variable you're populating with the src= parameter, then it's
                    > no big deal that you're multi-counting the instances that variable was
                    > populated.
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Craig Scribner
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 26 8:16 AM
                      Right--before you put some implementation time behind this, talk to Live
                      Support or your account manager to find out if it's within your contract
                      (or close enough) to have them enable Visits and/or Visitors for you.

                      ________________________________

                      That`s exactly the point: I only know how many times the page with the
                      src= parameter was "viewed". I don`t know how many "visits" it has.
                      Anyway, Bassam in a previous post told me about a code I need to
                      implement to substract views due to the use of the back button (since
                      I only care about clicks on the link I set to reach the src= page).
                      However your comment makes me think about the need of enabling the
                      variable visits to measure this.
                      Regards
                      Pablo

                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "Craig Scribner"
                      <craigscribner@...> wrote:

                      > If you have visits or visitors enabled as available metrics for the
                      > Omniture variable you're populating with the src= parameter, then it's
                      > no big deal that you're multi-counting the instances that variable was
                      > populated.
                      >

                      > ________________________________
                      >
                      > From: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                      > I'm using Omniture to track internal banners (from one page in the
                      > site to another page in the same site) by adding a dynamic component
                      > to the destiny URL. So if, for example, the destiny URL is
                      > www.pepepe.com it would become www.pepepe.com?src=blablabla although
                      > it remains the same page. The problem arises when the user after
                      > clicking that banner and reaching www.pepepe.com?src=blablabla follows
                      > another link to another page (let's say www.pepepe.com/contact.html)
                      > and then come back (with the back button) to
                      > www.pepepe.com?src=blablabla. In that case Omniture will count two
                      > instances for ?src=blablabla although the user made only one click in
                      > that banner.
                      > I would appreciate if anybody could help me to avoid this to happen.
                      > Thank you very much!
                      > Pablo

                    • Dustin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 26 11:42 AM
                        Hi Pablo,

                        I only use ClickMap for a general feel, not when more accuracy is
                        needed. This is because ClickMap only measures the activity of IE
                        users. IE is the only browser whose API supports tracking clicks by
                        x,y coordinates and thus allows for a tool such as ClickMap.

                        Unless you can show that your non-IE users behave the same as your IE
                        users, you can't extrapolate a true number. A Stanford classmate and
                        I did a project centered around this topic.

                        So to answer your question is most likely no.

                        Dustin Wallace
                        SDN Web Analyst
                        Sun Microsystems, Inc.
                        http://java.sun.com

                        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Pablo" <pablonoej@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Lisa and Bassam,
                        > Thanks for your responses. I will communicate with Omniture's support
                        > to try implementing this.
                        > By the way, Bassam, do you think that Omniture's ClickMap would be a
                        > good substitute for tracking internal links?
                        > Regards
                        > Pablo
                      • Pablo
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 26 1:45 PM
                          Thanks Dustin! I didn't know how ClickMap exactly works. This was very
                          helpful.
                        • Bassam Salem
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 30 11:20 AM
                            Dustin & Colleagues,

                            While the statement below around ClickMap used to be valid some time
                            ago, please know that Omniture's ClickMap tool works on all major
                            browsers. Please feel free to call our LiveSupport group if you'd like
                            more detailed information. Thanks very much!

                            http://java.sun.com <http://java.sun.com>

                            <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "Pablo" <pablonoej@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Lisa and Bassam,
                            > Thanks for your responses. I will communicate with Omniture's support
                            > to try implementing this.
                            > By the way, Bassam, do you think that Omniture's ClickMap would be a
                            > good substitute for tracking internal links?
                            > Regards
                            > Pablo

                          • Craig Scribner
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 30 12:53 PM
                              Omniture's ClickMap used to capture data from IE only, but its been some
                              time now since that limitation was removed--sometime after your Stanford
                              project, I guess. :-) I still think that you'd be wise to look for
                              trends in this data instead of extrapolating "true" numbers, but at
                              least ClickMap's numbers are much truer than they used to be.

                              ________________________________

                              I only use ClickMap for a general feel, not when more accuracy is
                              needed. This is because ClickMap only measures the activity of IE
                              users. IE is the only browser whose API supports tracking clicks by
                              x,y coordinates and thus allows for a tool such as ClickMap.

                              Unless you can show that your non-IE users behave the same as your IE
                              users, you can't extrapolate a true number. A Stanford classmate and
                              I did a project centered around this topic.

                              So to answer your question is most likely no.

                              Dustin Wallace
                              SDN Web Analyst
                              Sun Microsystems, Inc.
                              http://java.sun.com <http://java.sun.com>

                              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                              <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "Pablo" <pablonoej@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Lisa and Bassam,
                              > Thanks for your responses. I will communicate with Omniture's support
                              > to try implementing this.
                              > By the way, Bassam, do you think that Omniture's ClickMap would be a
                              > good substitute for tracking internal links?
                              > Regards
                              > Pablo

                            • Jaimie Scott
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 1, 2007
                                Bassam,

                                Before this thread I had never heard of the issue with Clickmap and
                                non-IE browsers, but I was told on more than one occassion by Omniture
                                that Clickmap has issues with dynamic pages and that is why the
                                Clickmap numbers do not necessarily agree with the other Omniture
                                data. Is this still the case?

                                Jaimie

                              • Craig Scribner
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                                  I don't want to trump Basaam's official answer, but in my experience you
                                  are correct, Clickmap doesn't pick up FLASH clicks or drop-down menu
                                  selection clicks by default the way it works for regular html links on a
                                  page. I know that Omniture has developed some code for ClickMap in
                                  FLASH, but I think you have to embed some Omniture code within the FLASH
                                  files you compile for this to work.

                                  best regards,

                                  Craig

                                  ________________________________

                                  <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "Bassam Salem" <BSalem@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Dustin & Colleagues,
                                  >

                                  > While the statement below around ClickMap used to be valid some time
                                  > ago, please know that Omniture's ClickMap tool works on all major
                                  > browsers. Please feel free to call our LiveSupport group if you'd like
                                  > more detailed information. Thanks very much!
                                  >

                                  > Sincerely,
                                  >

                                  > Bassam
                                  >

                                  > Bassam T. Salem
                                  > Director, Worldwide Client Services Operations
                                  > bsalem@... <mailto:bsalem@...>
                                  > 801.722.7000 x 331 tel
                                  > 435.602.0712 cel
                                  > 801.880.0384 fax
                                  >

                                  > 550 East Timpanogos Circle
                                  > Orem, UT 84097
                                  > www.omniture.com <http://www.omniture.com <http://www.omniture.com> >
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________
                                  >
                                  > From: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                                  > I only use ClickMap for a general feel, not when more accuracy is
                                  > needed. This is because ClickMap only measures the activity of IE
                                  > users. IE is the only browser whose API supports tracking clicks by
                                  > x,y coordinates and thus allows for a tool such as ClickMap.
                                  >
                                  > Unless you can show that your non-IE users behave the same as your IE
                                  > users, you can't extrapolate a true number. A Stanford classmate and
                                  > I did a project centered around this topic.
                                  >
                                  > So to answer your question is most likely no.
                                  >
                                  > Dustin Wallace
                                  > SDN Web Analyst
                                  > Sun Microsystems, Inc.
                                  > http://java.sun.com <http://java.sun.com> <http://java.sun.com
                                  <http://java.sun.com> >

                                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                                  <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  > <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "Pablo" <pablonoej@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi Lisa and Bassam,
                                  > > Thanks for your responses. I will communicate with Omniture's
                                  support
                                  > > to try implementing this.
                                  > > By the way, Bassam, do you think that Omniture's ClickMap would be a
                                  > > good substitute for tracking internal links?
                                  > > Regards
                                  > > Pablo

                                • Bassam Salem
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                                    Jaimie,

                                    Thanks for the post. You bring up two points in your message and I'd
                                    like to address both.

                                    With respect to ClickMap tracking on non-IE browsers, some years ago, a
                                    few browsers did not support the version of JavaScript required for
                                    automatic link tracking. However, for several years now, all major
                                    browsers have had this support and thus ClickMap reflects activity from
                                    all those browsers.

                                    Regarding your question as to ClickMap's support of dynamic pages, I'll
                                    address this through an example. Imagine, if you will, a news site that
                                    has ever-changing links based on popular news stories. Further, let's
                                    assume the first link on the page referenced "story 1" for a few hours
                                    but then was replaced by a link referencing "story 2".

                                    * For simplicity and ease of implementation, with absolutely no
                                    additional tagging required, ClickMap is able to work in an
                                    out-of-the-box mode. In this mode, it will track the links from the
                                    aforementioned links to "story 1" and "story 2" *distinctly* (i.e.,
                                    since they're two unique links, it'll treat them as such) and running
                                    ClickMap on the page would display an overlay with metrics reflecting
                                    the current links on the page (i.e., clicks on the link to "story 2").
                                    Some customers want this behavior not only because of its
                                    ease-of-deployment (since it is out-of-the-box), but also because it
                                    provides an accurate representation of activity against the current
                                    version of the page (i.e., the current set of stories being displayed).

                                    * For flexibility and customization, ClickMap also supports a
                                    custom mode. This would allow clients to multiple dynamic links to be
                                    treated as one (e.g., tracking the specific "link slot" the stories all
                                    share as opposed to the specific story's link). In this case, if our
                                    customer wants to track clicks on the first link slot as opposed to
                                    unique clicks on the specific story displayed in that slot, ClickMap can
                                    also support this through some minimal tagging where an ID is associated
                                    with the slot that the links to "story 1" and "story 2" resided instead
                                    of to the stories themselves. Many customers want this behavior because
                                    it reflects the page real estate activity regardless of the
                                    dynamically-changing content.

                                    There are some very useful white papers in the Omniture KnowledgeBase
                                    (click the "Help" button inside SiteCatalyst) around ClickMap. Please
                                    refer to those for much more detail on this topic; please also feel free
                                    to call our LiveSupport group and they'd be more than happy to walk you
                                    through deciding which approach makes sense for you.

                                    Thanks, again.