Did any of you notice comScore's announcement this morning?

  • Eric Peterson
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 16, 2007
      comScore published some interesting numbers regarding cookie deletion
      rates that piggyback into the thread we had recently started about the
      difference between visitor counts based on authenticated users and
      counts based on cookies:

      http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=1389

      I published some thoughts on the release in my weblog where I welcome
      your comments:

      http://blog.webanalyticsdemystified.com/weblog/2007/04/comscore-study-sheds-new-light-on-risks-to-cookie-based-measurement.html

      I was a little surprised to not hear any chatter in the group about
      this announcement since it basically says that first-party cookies are
      ** no better ** than third-party cookies.

      Any thoughts on comScore's announcement?

      Eric T. Peterson
      Web Analytics Demystified
    • cosimo.accoto@memis.it
      Message 34 of 34 , May 1, 2007
        Hi Eric, just a confirmation of your recent prediction:
        “2007: the banner year of web analytics books” ;-)).

        Also for the italian digital market, is now available my ‘guide to the online audience measurements systems’. The book is:

        -- Cosimo Accoto, Misurare le audience in internet. Teorie, tecniche e metriche per la misurazione degli utenti in rete, FrancoAngeli, 2007, pgg. 240 (english translation: “Measuring internet audiences. Theories, techniques and metrics for the measurement of networked users”).

        The book approach is quite particular and different from the well-known web analytics books. The background is the historical media context (media ratings analysis) and the progressive emergence (theoretical and operative) of quantitative measurements of new media in the internet environment (with "built-in" measurement systems as other interactive media: digital tv and mobile devices).

        In the book, I present and analyze (briefly) both web analytics and audience measurement services. I prepared below a chapter titles translation (a conceptual translation) for international people. At the moment the book is available only in italian.

        1 Introduction: measuring internet (traffic and audience)
        2 Internet: media applications and online audiences
        3 Web analytics and audience measurement services
        4 Old and new media metrics (exposure & interactivity)
        5 Log file analysis: the server experience
        6 Tagging technologies: a copernical revolution
        7 Traffic sniffing: a competitive approach
        8 Metering internet panels: sample data vs census data
        9 Web surveys: interviewing virtual selves
        10 Measuring internet advertising
        11 Online audience measurements in the next
        12 Online references: sites, newsletters, discussion groups, blogs
        13 Offline references: books, white papers, publications.

        In the author opinion (myself ;-), this guide is intended as a comprehensive, totally indipendent, introduction (for italian people) to international web analytics guru-books, existing and fourthcoming (Peterson, 2004, 2005, 2006; Sterne, 2001; Inan, 2001, 2005; Kemelor, 2006; Kaushik, 2007,…..), reported accurately in my book references.

        I hope my book will sollecitate and stimulate the italian digital market in reading web analytics blogs and books intensively promoted from Eric and others folks&friends.

        Regards,
        Cosimo Accoto