can we measure the contextuality?

  • fionda@informatica.it
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
      We should first define what we mean by “context”.

      In a dictionary we would find: "the set of facts or circumstances that
      surround a situation or event".

      Let's say the situation or event here is the "call to action".

      How do we measure, then, whether a call to action is in context or not and
      how much?

      I think the only way to measure what is an abstract concept is in
      relationship to an object in the real world, let's say "the ROI".

      If we take the ROI as a criterion we can assume that higher ROI involves a
      higher value for the relationship between "call to action" and "context".

      Finally we can use this axiom to develop the mathematics needed to
      evaluate a priori what is the most suitable and better-performing context
      to use for a call to action.

      If we accept the condition that a negative value can have better ROI we
      will loose this precious relationship.

      Any other clue how to measure?

      Maurizio Fionda
      +39 0546 607007
      Italy
    • Wandering Dave Rhee
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
        Hi, Maurizio,

        I think that if you are designing your pages intelligently, each step along
        the buying path will have its own context. For example, the call to action
        on the landing page may be to view product details. The product details
        page may have, as its call to action, adding to the shopping cart. The cart
        may have purchase. And so on, throughout the entire path.

        So the desired action will vary as the context will vary -- this is not
        anything new. ROI may be applied to the entire process, but as many steps
        affect the overall process, it would be difficult to use this as an
        effective Key Performance Indicator (KPI). Instead, step-wise iteration for
        each individual page along the path should be optimized, using the KPI for
        that particular page.

        Increasing ROI may, however, be a good KPI for determining whether or not
        your testing and measurement process (the process of applying web analytics
        to a site) is effective or not (assuming that you are not changing the
        drivers of traffic to your site, as each segment of that has its own
        "natural" ROI).

        Good question! What made you start thinking along these lines?

        WDave

        On 4/2/07, fionda@... <fionda@...> wrote:

        > We should first define what we mean by "context".
        >
        > In a dictionary we would find: "the set of facts or circumstances that
        > surround a situation or event".
        >
        > Let's say the situation or event here is the "call to action".
        >
        > How do we measure, then, whether a call to action is in context or not and
        > how much?
        >
        > I think the only way to measure what is an abstract concept is in
        > relationship to an object in the real world, let's say "the ROI".
        >
        > If we take the ROI as a criterion we can assume that higher ROI involves a
        > higher value for the relationship between "call to action" and "context".
        >
        > Finally we can use this axiom to develop the mathematics needed to
        > evaluate a priori what is the most suitable and better-performing context
        > to use for a call to action.
        >
        > If we accept the condition that a negative value can have better ROI we
        > will loose this precious relationship.
        >
        > Any other clue how to measure?
        >
        > Maurizio Fionda
        > +39 0546 607007
        > Italy

      • Maurizio Fionda
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2007
          Hi Dave,

          in your message you use the word "intelligently" and I agree at the moment
          you can only use words like those: "better", "worse", "good", "bad", etc..
          As you can see we still work in a subjective world.

          I think that at the present time, despite all the data we collect, we
          actually produce only very little knowledge because of the lack of
          abstraction from the context (where the data comes from). Every single
          funnel inside every single website has different qualities, different
          meanings and we are missing the opportunity to share knowledge.

          In an effort to build a metric (an objective system of evaluation) there's
          a necessary tendency to abstract from the context as continuously as
          possible.

          I start thinking along these lines because I work in the email marketing
          industry and here we are channelling significant resources into producing
          meaningful k.p.i. for our customers and we are working to build a metric
          and "objectify" knowledge. I believe this is an exciting domain in which
          to define or discover new rules and use them to evaluate scenarios and
          take decisions in a much less subjective manner.

          It's not an easy task, I know - but I strongly believe we can do it.

          --
          Maurizio Fionda
          Diennea Italy