6703Re: [webanalytics] Re: basic math question - percentages

  • HAKIMALY@NETSCAPE.NET
    May 31 5:46 PM
      Technically both are correct, however it is more common the refer to the difference between two %s as "percentage points difference". In banking, the difference is referred to as "basis points", where 1 basis point= 1/100 of 1%. So, 1%=100bp, and 0.2% = 20bp.

      Hakim

      Andrew Edwards <aedwards@...> wrote:

      >I'm no math genius but I am pretty sure the *increase* between 1% and
      >1.2% is 20%. It might also be  called (uncharitably) an additional 0.2%
      >overall on total percentage of conversions, but then you're confusing
      >the word "additional" with the notion of  "increase by percentage".
      >
      >--Andrew Edwards
      >
      > Ted Callier wrote:
      >
      >>On Wed, 31 May 2006 19:38:39 -0000
      >>"matpflum" <matpflum@...> wrote:
      >>

      >>>I have always struggled with the logic behind this seemingly simple
      >>>question. Doesn't it make more sense to say that if the conversion
      >>>rate was 1% in March and is 1.2% in April, that the rate increased
      >>>by .2% and not 20%?  So it's a simple subtraction.  I'm not a
      >>>mathematician, but I think that it is wrong to compute a percentage
      >>>of a percentage because the percentages were calculated off of
      >>>different bases.  Are there any mathematicians who can explain which
      >>>way is correct? Thanks.
      >>>Maureen
      >>>

      >>If you want to show the difference by doing a substraction, this is
      >>called "percentage point", .2 percentage points(not .2% !) in your
      >>example.
      >>
      >>If you use percentages, you can apply them to percentages w/o problems
      >>as long as both measure the same thing, conversion in your example.
      >>
      >>So conversion increased by 20%, or .2 percentage points, from 1% in
      >>March to 1.2% in April.
      >>
      >>And as you have no reason to believe me, see youself what Wikipedia has to say:
      >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentage and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentage_point
      >>

      >>___________________________________________________________________________
      >>Yahoo! Mail réinvente le mail ! Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et son interface révolutionnaire.
      >>http://fr.mail.yahoo.com

      >--
      >Andrew Edwards
      >Managing Partner