58RE: [webanalytics] WebTrends vs. NetTracker

  • Matt Belkin
    Jul 14, 2004

      I too have seen swings from 16-45% when converting from logs to page-tags.  It varies by metric – we noticed pageviews trended higher than unique visitor counts.  At the end of the day though, it exposes one of the key limitations of log files – their ability to accurate delineate and sessionize visitor activity.  To salvage our old log data, we basically standardized on several adjustments (i.e. 10 log pageviews for every 5 tag pages), and adjusted all our historic data according to seasonal trends, etc.  This exercise really only carried us thru the transition period so business owners had some comps.  After 1 quarter of activity, we tossed the logs all together.

      From: Eric Peterson [mailto:eric.peterson@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 10:03 AM
      To: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [webanalytics] WebTrends vs. NetTracker

      Great question Garrett!

      Because this is one of the most common questions that come up whenever
      a company switches vendors/measurement platforms, even when going from
      logs to logs as in Garrett's case, I suspect that many members of this
      group will have comments/contributions.  I'll wait to see what others
      have to say before digging in too deep.

      Needless to say, in my experience I've seen the delta between
      log-based systems and tag-based systems as high as 40% for page view
      and visit counts.  Pretty bad news if you're the analytics decision
      maker who now has to explain to upper management why the numbers
      dropped by nearly half!  While there are always pretty good
      explanations, it's never fun to be the bearer of bad news.

      Welcome to the discussion ...

      On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:38:45 -0000, Garrett <gnafzing@...> wrote:
      > Has anyone had experience with both of these products?  We've been
      > using WebTrends for the past few years and recently switched to
      > NetTracker because of WebTrends decision to drop the Unix product with
      > the 7.0 release.
      >
      > After analyzing the same logs with NetTracker we find our numbers come
      > in about 25% lower across the board.  I contacted NetTracker support,
      > who informed me that NetTracker filters the major bot traffic.  I've
      > removed the bot filters from NetTracker and the numbers are still ~
      > 23% lower.  We do exclude staff traffic (from within our building)
      > with both products.
      >
      > I know the numbers are never going to be exactly the same, I'd be
      > willing to accept 5% + or -.
      >
      > Anyone have similar experience?
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Garrett N.

      Eric T. Peterson
      Author, Web Analytics Demystified
      www.webanalyticsdemystified.com

      Have you joined the Metrics Discussion Group?  Email
      webanalytics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join today!

      Web Metrics Discussion Group
      Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
      Author, Web Analytics Demystified