5623Re: Understanding content value - SEO specific question

  • Debora Geary
    Mar 4, 2006
      Not to make this any more difficult :), but I think there is the
      additional issue of the path the user takes through the site.
      Landing page is one factor, but say you determine via some PPC A/B
      testing that Page A is the better landing page. Maybe it doesn't
      have much to do with Page A, only that Page A has a clearer call to
      action down a path that is better at converting.

      For example, one of my clients recently tested sending some pretty
      generic keywords to their home page or a category page. The home
      page produced more conversions, but deeper analysis showed that the
      valuable traffic was people going off the homepage through an
      educational pathway ("New to widgets, start here..."). Moving
      the "New to" path to the category page made it the more effective
      landing page. In this case, for SEO, they could have created almost
      any page and connected it to the "new to" pathway, which was the
      truly valuable content.

      This matters in figuring out what to SEO because some pages are
      better SEO candidates than others. In my example above, SEO of the
      category page would be far easier, so it might be preferable to fix
      the effectiveness of the easier landing pages to SEO.

      And how you get that in a nice pretty report, I have no idea, LOL!

      Debora