5563Re: A question about multiple/duplicate tags from vendors

  • thomas_pimental
    Mar 1, 2006
      Greg,

      I don't mean to fill everyone's inbox, but are you sure they looked at
      the .js file and not just the variables in the page code? I'm pretty
      sure most vendors use a base .js file, but maybe I'm wrong.

      Tom

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "ggtrahan" <ggtrahan@...> wrote:

      > Hi Tom -
      > Thanks for the response. I thought the same thing, and the vendor
      > confirmed that there is potential for problems there, but only in
      > situations where you describe (where 1 variable gets overwritten by
      > another). The vendor has looked at our tags and doesn't see any
      > issues.
      >
      > Because our business model revolves around cobranded environments,
      > we've seen this type of thing before...it's frustrating because the
      > numbers look great when the tags are from completely different
      > vendors - right on track and everything is in agreement.
      >
      > I appreciate your input - thanks again!
      > Greg
      >
      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "thomas_pimental"
      > <hackalytics@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The only reason I can think this would cause issues is because the
      > > vendor is rewriting the same variables when multiple .js files are
      > > loaded. Since different vendors use completely different code bases
      > > and variables, this isn't a factor when 2 vendors deliver their
      > code
      > > to the same page, but if a .js file from 1 vendor is called on the
      > > same page, the first variable may be getting overwritten by the
      > second.
      > >
      > > Your vendor may be able to rewrite your .js file using unique
      > variable
      > > names, but as long as you are setting the same variables on the
      > same
      > > page, it will cause issues.
      > >
      > > Tom
      > > www.hackalytics.com
      > >

      > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "ggtrahan" <ggtrahan@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hey everyone -
      > > > Hope all is well. Our organization is a content provider that
      > works
      > > > almost exclusively in co-branded environments (where our
      > affiliates
      > > > send us the appropriate "wrapper" images; we host these images
      > and
      > > > load our content into the "guts" - making it appear as though
      > you're
      > > > still on our affiliates sites), and we are validating some of
      > our data.
      > > >
      > > > When an affiliate has a tag in their wrapper that differs from
      > ours,
      > > > there's no problems. However, a few of our affiliates use tags
      > from
      > > > the same vendor that we do, and we see significant variance.
      > > >
      > > > Our vendor has assured us that though this isn't advised (using
      > > > multiple tags), there shouldn't be any problems. I've already
      > talked
      > > > to tech support about setting one .js tag to "defer," as well as
      > the
      > > > possibility for "fall through" behavior of variables, etc., but
      > no
      > > > real answers.
      > > >
      > > > I guess I'm just trying to figure out why there would be any
      > issues
> [...]
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic