5561Re: A question about multiple/duplicate tags from vendors

  • thomas_pimental
    Mar 1 11:56 AM
      The only reason I can think this would cause issues is because the
      vendor is rewriting the same variables when multiple .js files are
      loaded. Since different vendors use completely different code bases
      and variables, this isn't a factor when 2 vendors deliver their code
      to the same page, but if a .js file from 1 vendor is called on the
      same page, the first variable may be getting overwritten by the second.

      Your vendor may be able to rewrite your .js file using unique variable
      names, but as long as you are setting the same variables on the same
      page, it will cause issues.

      Tom
      www.hackalytics.com

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "ggtrahan" <ggtrahan@...> wrote:

      > Hey everyone -
      > Hope all is well. Our organization is a content provider that works
      > almost exclusively in co-branded environments (where our affiliates
      > send us the appropriate "wrapper" images; we host these images and
      > load our content into the "guts" - making it appear as though you're
      > still on our affiliates sites), and we are validating some of our data.
      >
      > When an affiliate has a tag in their wrapper that differs from ours,
      > there's no problems. However, a few of our affiliates use tags from
      > the same vendor that we do, and we see significant variance.
      >
      > Our vendor has assured us that though this isn't advised (using
      > multiple tags), there shouldn't be any problems. I've already talked
      > to tech support about setting one .js tag to "defer," as well as the
      > possibility for "fall through" behavior of variables, etc., but no
      > real answers.
      >
      > I guess I'm just trying to figure out why there would be any issues
      > with 2 tags from the same vendor - it seems counterintuitive that the
      > vendor would have issues reconciling data from their own tag.
      >
      > Has anyone had similar issues, and if so, is there anything I can do
      > about this? Having only 1 tag on the page is not an option.
      >
      > Thanks!

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic