493Re: Rules for Building a Search Term Tool?

  • matthewjncroche
    Sep 29, 2004
      I am not a Web Analytics vendor, but I would question why you would
      want to spend your time on this given that several companies have
      solved the problem.

      While you could likely put together a parser, you will have an
      ongoing task of keeping up with the rules. In addition, you will
      also have to consider the next objective, which would be evaluating
      the words not just on quantity but quality. A lot of people may be
      searching on terms that lead them to you but not doing anything.

      If your goal is free search optimization, you want not just the set
      of words, but the set of the best words (not just most frequent). If
      you are buying terms, the quality of the terms are a key driver to
      your bidding.

      I would totally go for it if you see the yield on the investment over
      the long haul and if the marketing group is really tuned to search
      optimization as a long-term strategic advantage. Just know that this
      task will definitely grow as you work on it.

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "carlitobull40"
      <webanalyticsdemystified@f...> wrote:
      > Using regular expressions would make this a trivial task. I don't
      > know of any place to get the actual regular expressions to parse
      each
      > individual search engine's query string, but they are all rather
      > similar, and a motivated IT department could certainly do it in no
      > time at all. Good luck!
      >

      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "magan_daniel" <d_magan@h...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi:
      > >
      > > While I know that all of the major web analytics vendors offer
      > search
      > > engine / search term functionality, I am looking at building this
      > > functionality into our parsing process.
      > >
      > > If their tools can do it, certainly a motivated IT group can do
      it,
      > > as well...just maybe sans some of the graphics.
      > >
      > > That said...I've been monkeying around with this and, as you
      know,
      > > the search terms show up in query string on the results bar in
      > > different formats depending on the engine.
      > >
      > > The long route, which I fear I may have to take, is figuring out
      > each
      > > engine's rules manually and writing my parsing code
      appropriately.
      > > wish, though, that there was some information I could access that
      > had
      > > these rules already written in some coherent fashion.
      > >
      > > Probably wishful thinking, but if it exists, someone out here
      would
      > > know.
      > >
      > > Thank you very much.
      > >
      > > Best,