468Re: Rules for Building a Search Term Tool?

  • carlitobull40
    Sep 23, 2004
      Using regular expressions would make this a trivial task. I don't
      know of any place to get the actual regular expressions to parse each
      individual search engine's query string, but they are all rather
      similar, and a motivated IT department could certainly do it in no
      time at all. Good luck!

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "magan_daniel" <d_magan@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hi:
      >
      > While I know that all of the major web analytics vendors offer
      search
      > engine / search term functionality, I am looking at building this
      > functionality into our parsing process.
      >
      > If their tools can do it, certainly a motivated IT group can do it,
      > as well...just maybe sans some of the graphics.
      >
      > That said...I've been monkeying around with this and, as you know,
      > the search terms show up in query string on the results bar in
      > different formats depending on the engine.
      >
      > The long route, which I fear I may have to take, is figuring out
      each
      > engine's rules manually and writing my parsing code appropriately.
      > wish, though, that there was some information I could access that
      had
      > these rules already written in some coherent fashion.
      >
      > Probably wishful thinking, but if it exists, someone out here would
      > know.
      >
      > Thank you very much.
      >
      > Best,
      > Dan