3893Re: Anti-Spyware Coalition defines terms

  • Eric Peterson
    Oct 31, 2005
      Good response, Andrew.

      Has the association given much thought about how to respond given the
      coalition's self-righteous response? I agree that a more substantial
      response may be warranted at this point ... otherwise you run the risk
      of allowing the anti-spyware forces, given their apparent organization
      and the sizable companies in their membership, to further establish
      cookies as "evil and unwanted."

      Unfortunately you've got AOL, Microsoft, McAfee, Dell, Yahoo! and a
      host of other companies who depend heavily on cookies themselves
      supporting this new definition, potentially making the defense of
      cookies very much an uphill battle.

      I appreciate your willingness to keep those of us not in the WAA
      informed about your work and decisions.

      Thanks,

      Eric Peterson

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Edwards <aedwards@t...> wrote:

      > The WAA has decided that, at this stage, the best way to interact with
      > Anti-Spyware Coalition is through our active paricipation in NAI
      > (National Advertising Initiative). The NAI has aggregated a number of
      > marketing interests and engaged in substantive discussions with the
      > Coalition. Over the summer I participated in an event specifically
      about
      > the Coalition's approach to cookies, and the Coalition had a
      > representative at the meeting.
      >
      > On behalf of the WAA I made it clear to that representative that we
      felt
      > the Coalition was misstating its purpose, insofar as it failed to
      > acknowledge that its members were demonizing cookies for the purpose of
      > their own enhanced marketing efforts.
      >
      > Needless to say, the Coalition takes a self-righteous approach when
      > confronted with this fact. Now that they have come out with their
      > self-serving definitions of "unwanted technologies", we probably
      need to
      > respond more substantively.
      >
      > --Andrew Edwards
      >
      > Eric Peterson wrote:
      >
      > >I think the oddest thing about the Anti-Spyware coalition is that
      > >neither the WAA nor any web analytics vendors are already participants
      > >in this group. I've heard that the coalition has had some problems
      > >but certainly it would seem like a group like this would be one worth
      > >participating in (or perhaps lobbying) if your cookies kept getting
      > >added to anti-spyware blacklists.
      > >
      > >Anyway, just an observation.
      > >
      > >--- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Akin Arikan" <akin@s...> wrote:
      > >

      > >>If you haven't seen already, the Anti-Spyware coalition has released
      > >>their terms and definitions for public comment. The last one among
      these
      > >>terms is "Unauthorized Tracking Cookies". I am wondering whether it
      > >>would make sense for the Web Analytics Association's Advocacy
      commission
      > >>to seek membership in the Anti-Spyware coalition in order to
      provide the
      > >>ongoing guidance and refinement that our industry wants to give?
      > >>
      > >>Their definitions:
      > >>http://www.antispywarecoalition.org/documents/definitions.htm
      > >>
      > >>The document is open for public comment
      > >><http://www.antispywarecoalition.org/comments/> until November 27,
      > >>2005.
      > >>
      > >>Yahoo's news story:
      > >>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051028/ap_on_hi_te/spyware_word_wars
      > >>

      > >>Right now their definition has both pros and cons. However, we may
      want
      > >>to suggest further refinement in order to distinguish between good and
      > >>bad cookies, if there is such a thing. For example, we could burn 3d
      > >>party cookies in order to save 1st party cookies.
      > >>
      > >>Greetings
      > >>
      > >>Akin Arikan
      > >>NetTracker
      > >>from Sane Solutions

> [...]