320Re: [webanalytics] Re: Cookies, tagging and privacy

  • Eric Peterson
    Aug 31, 2004
      Stephen,

      I know you're in the UK and care slightly less about HR 2929 but since
      you work for a US company have you looked at this bill and thought
      about it's implications at all? If so, I'm sure the group would like
      to hear your thoughts.

      Thanks,

      Eric

      On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:07:31 -0000, Stephen Turner
      <yahoo@...> wrote:
      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "dallatana" <dalla@a...> wrote:
      > > Hello All,
      > >
      > > What about third party tracking generated by advertisers? The
      > > advertising model is pretty much built on the ability to track, but
      > > their methods are not controlled by the site on which they
      > > advertise.
      > >

      > This, of course, is why cookies got a bad name in the first place.
      >
      > When cookies were first invented, advertising meant banner ads, and
      > everyone used DoubleClick to serve their ads. Because cookies could be
      > attached to images not just pages, DoubleClick was able to attach
      > cookies to their ads, and track everywhere that you'd been. This is in
      > a different category from being able to track you within one site, and
      > seemed to cross the boundary of what many people -- at least, many of
      > those few who knew what was going on -- found acceptable.
      >
      > > One point regarding the threat to the use of cookies et al, is the
      > > importance of a site's privacy policy and what it discloses to its
      > > users.
      >
      > No, I disagree with this. Most people don't read privacy policies at
      > all. And the sort of people who care about these issues have seen too
      > many examples where the privacy policy is designed solely to reassure
      > users without promising them anything. Too often there's some legal
      > boilerplate along the lines of "We can change any of this policy at
      > any time by posting the changes on our website".
      >
      > --
      > Stephen Turner
      > CTO, ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
      > ClickTracks wins ClickZ Marketing Excellence Award again!
      > WINNER: Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004

      Eric T. Peterson
      Author, Web Analytics Demystified
      www.webanalyticsdemystified.com

      Have you joined the Metrics Discussion Group? Email
      webanalytics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join today!
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic