313Cookies, tagging and privacy

  • dallatana
    Aug 28, 2004
      Hello All,

      What about third party tracking generated by advertisers? The
      advertising model is pretty much built on the ability to track, but
      their methods are not controlled by the site on which they
      advertise.

      One point regarding the threat to the use of cookies et al, is the
      importance of a site's privacy policy and what it discloses to its
      users. See below for a portion of The New York Times privacy
      policy as it relates to its Web analytics vendor, Omniture and the
      link to Omniture for further information.

      "The New York Times on the Web is currently using and has
      contracted with Omniture, a third party, to track and analyze
      non-personally identifiable usage and volume statistical
      information from our visitors and customers to administer our
      Web site in order to constantly improve the Web site quality. All
      data collected by Omniture on behalf of The New York Times on
      the Web is owned and used by The New York Times on the Web.
      The New York Times on the Web reserves the right to publish
      non-personally identifiable, summary information regarding its
      Web site visitors for promotional purposes and as a
      representative audience for advertisers. Please note that this is
      not personal information, only general summaries of the
      activities of our visitors and customers.

      'Omniture uses cookies to help track visitor behavior and sets
      cookies on behalf of The New York Times on the Web which will
      be listed under the domain 2O7.net. For more information about
      Omniture's privacy policy, including how to opt out, go to
      www.omniture.com. "
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic