30948RE: [webanalytics] Re: Adobe report hacks

  • Cross, Dan
    Aug 21, 2014

      > When you say "users who bounce," do you mean single-page sessions?

      Yep, but more explicitly, single *request* sessions, since the firing of any additional onclick requests will negate a bounce, even if a second page wasn’t loaded (in Adobe at least…. Don’t know about Google Analytics).

      > If no second page is loaded, is there some "fire tag when page is exited or browser tab closed" event that GA is capturing, but which Adobe does not?

      No additional tag is fired on browser back/close (I’m 100% sure in Adobe… 99% sure in GA). From what I understand, Google can calculate (or approximate) this number because of the huge volume of users coming from google.com … they own the previous domain many users are coming from, thus can calculate time elapsed from when user left google.com to when they returned. Obviously, it’s an incomplete dataset, since it wouldn’t include browser closes, visits from other sources, etc.

      Thinking out loud – by my logic above, if you segmented out visits originating from Google in GA, you should see dramatically higher time spent numbers… if someone wants to check my logic, please go ahead :)

      To see a real world example of the above in action, check any of your sites with both GA and Adobe Analytics implemented, and compare time spent numbers. Often, Adobe’s numbers are 3x higher and more. If you segment out bounces in GA, the time spent numbers become much closer.