3083Re: How do we find how many visitors have directly typed our domain on Browser

  • Fred Kuu
    Aug 1, 2005
      From my experience, Apache redirects do retain the referrer. I don't
      know about IIS. However, redirects created programmatically (like JS,
      CGI, JSP, etc) are much more likely to drop the referrer.

      -Fred

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "john marshall" <jmarshall@c...>
      wrote:
      > Tom,
      >
      > That's not correct. Server redirects do not affect the referrer.
      Examine a
      > page of Google results and look at the URLs for the paid ads. You
      will find
      > they go to a page within the Google domain so that Google can count the
      > click, and a redirect is passed back to take the browser to the
      target page.
      > At the target page the referrer with the keywords is available.
      >
      > The RFC says the referrer is 'the last page the user viewed' and not
      'the
      > last URL the browser read from'. I'm paraphrasing of course.
      >
      > There's an exception to this. A version of Apple's Safari browser
      broke the
      > referrer by not adhering to the spec, so the referrer was indeed some
      > useless junk from the guts of adwords in the above example.
      Thankfully that
      > browser has quietly wilted.
      >

      > John Marshall
      > www.clicktracks.com