3081RE: [webanalytics] Re: How do we find how many visitors have directly typed our domain on Browser

  • john marshall
    Aug 1 12:14 PM
      Tom,

      That's not correct. Server redirects do not affect the referrer. Examine a
      page of Google results and look at the URLs for the paid ads. You will find
      they go to a page within the Google domain so that Google can count the
      click, and a redirect is passed back to take the browser to the target page.
      At the target page the referrer with the keywords is available.

      The RFC says the referrer is 'the last page the user viewed' and not 'the
      last URL the browser read from'. I'm paraphrasing of course.

      There's an exception to this. A version of Apple's Safari browser broke the
      referrer by not adhering to the spec, so the referrer was indeed some
      useless junk from the guts of adwords in the above example. Thankfully that
      browser has quietly wilted.

      John Marshall
      www.clicktracks.com