30798Re: [webanalytics] Google is hiding paid search query from all 3rd party tools

  • Jagruti
    May 7, 2014
      Hi Birger,

      I think Google is responding to the beating it got for favoring to share info on paid search. So now it is withdrawing info from third party tools. In a way it is maintaining all its money making sources internally. So if you are using Google in-house products you still get access to keyword info. With the constant changes it always affects brands, service providers and experts drastically. It is to be seen where this leaves tools like Marin? Considering so many companies are using it and what happens to its revenue stream. Companies like conductor should watch out as to how Google would try to threaten their business in the future...

      I would love to blog about this subject on my blog- http://www.adwebspark.com

      Thanks for starting this discussion,

      On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:13 PM, Birger Friedrichs <bf@...> wrote:
      Look here:

      You can still append Google's ValueTrack parameter {keyword} to your target URL. This will pass the ppc keyword (not the search term) that triggered the ad to your landing page.

      Yes, search terms are still available via the search query report in Google Adwords. But conversion tracking for ppc search terms when using third party tools becomes more difficult because you can't match the conversion to the search term. You no longer get that information during landing.

      Sent from iPhone. Please excuse any typos.

      Am 07.05.2014 um 17:52 schrieb Davis Che <davis_che@...>:

      Hi Maxfatter,

      Could you provide further detail about this? Is it disabled for PPC or organic search?

      - Davis Che

      On May 7, 2014, at 4:47 AM, <maxfatter@...> <maxfatter@...> wrote:

      I just found out that Google will no longer be providing Paid Search Keywords to all 3rd party analytic tools, including Google Analytics, saying it is for privacy reason.

      The only place where it is available is AdWord, which is the very tool you bit the keywords.  I want to hear what you guys think about this? how does this impact your analysis.

      In my world, I often do targeted banner campaigns on homepage based on keywords that lets to the site. Forexample, if the search query contains 'iphone', I will show products related to iphones on the homepage.  Now it becomes very difficult to do the same kind of thing because Google is no longer providing the search query.

      In my opinion, I think Google just doesn't want people to have a 3rd party view to audit how their traffic is performing, that's why they are doing it.  It is not privacy, it is business. We paid Google for the traffic, and only Google can tell us how the traffic is doing.  This seem like an unfair practice to me.

      What do you guys think?

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic