30158Re: Tag Management Solution

  • Stephane Hamel
    May 2, 2013
      I wouldn't say we are in "disagreement" my friend - we're constructing on each other comments with constructive feedback :)

      I guess my point is we've heard "The time it takes to deploy an enterprise TMS (one line of code referencing a library) literally takes minutes" many times in the past... yet deploying the simplest of tag on every single page of a site (let alone a complex multi-site, sub-domain, 3rd party network of sites) is often a long and tedious process because of resistance, long dev cycles (especially anything transactional or hooked to back office), legal, internal policies, political struggles, etc. Oh yes, once you have overcome all of that it's takes a few minutes :)

      The thought process behind the business requirements is essentially the same (or should be...). The TMS won't magically uncover business needs and all the intricacies of the implementation constraints - people will. The time it takes to paste or configure in the TMS will certainly be shorter. And from that point on, any new tag you have to deploy and any tweak to your tags or configuration will be a lot faster & easier. That's a HUGE benefit of TMSs.

      And now we reach the point of maturity. If organizations could reach that level of discipline and maturity with or without a TMS the world would be a better place... The advent of TMSs raised the awareness of the organization and the whole cycle becomes more important, more critical, more strategic. That's the other HUGE benefit of TMSs.

      Keep the conversation going, curious to hear comments from other agencies, vendors and people from the client side. I would ask a simple question: "the first time you deployed the TMS - how was it?" This is a very interesting thread considering I'm working on a vendor benchmark (results will be available publicly).

      Stephane Hamel
      Director, Strategic Services
      CardinalPath.com