30156Re: [webanalytics] Re: Tag Management Solution

  • Birger Friedrichs
    May 1, 2013
      Good morning,

      Though I work for DC Storm (a Tag Management and service provider) and
      I'm probably biased I would like to share my experience working with
      clients in this space.

      > If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular
      > javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation
      > timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?

      In the first instance you will have to add another piece of script to
      your pages which will add the container tag to your site. Depending on
      your flexibility and resources this might be quick or takes some more time.

      But this gives you the ability to add further tags and scripts to the
      container and fire them based on your own rules.
      If the provider has already pre-built templates for your third party
      tags it will be just about creating a serve rule and passing the
      mandatory (and optional) variables values to the tag.

      I normally advise clients to put some more thoughts into the implementation.
      A tag management system in general is a 'dumb' tool. It can only pass
      information to other tags or scripts that you provide to it or that the
      tms can extract from the URL or the page.

      Therefore try to think pre-implementation about which information is
      important for you to pass on to third party tags or which is important
      for you for setting up serve rules. This could be (depending on page type):
      - page type/category
      - product id
      - product name
      - product price
      - category id
      - category name
      - sub category
      - category path/breadcrumb
      - number of products
      - tax value
      - shipping cost
      - list of products IDs (e.g. category page or basket pages)
      - list of product names
      - list of category ids
      - list of category names
      - list of product prices
      - search term
      - search results

      Of course it's possible to scrape these information from the page source
      or from the URL and we do this for clients but it's much more easier for
      you if you provide this kind of structured data to the tms by using a
      data layer (or something similar). E.g.:

      Especially re-targeting tags can be pretty sophisticated and would like
      to collect a lot of information on your various pages (product page,
      category page, search result page, basket page, confirmation page).

      Having everything available in something like a data layer makes it a
      lot more easier to configure your third party tags and to pass the
      information to these tags.

      So to answer your initial question it depends. :) If you put some more
      thought and time during implementation you can save a lot of time

      > Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics
      > tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering
      > that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3
      > months)

      This really depends on the tag. A simple Google Analytics tag is
      probably rolled out in a few hours (including testing and QA).

      More sophisticated implementations can take much more time. Especially
      if you have to pass a lot of custom information to your web analytics
      tool on the various page types. Then you have to think about which
      information has to be passed to the tag and on which pages and where do
      you get the information from.

      Our clients normally already have a web analytics tool implemented. So
      they are more after adding additional tags for their marketing campaigns
      (re-targeting tags, affiliate tags, price comparison sites etc.).

      If you only want to add a web analytics tag to your site, it might not
      worth to use a tag management system.
      But if you plan to deploy more tags to your site, I agree with Bill and
      it will definitely pay off the more tags you deploy.

      DC Storm provides a professional and free tag management tool.
      So feel free to register and give it a try to play with it:

      Happy to hear experiences and to learn from others and especially also
      the client side as the vendor and service provider space is often a bit
      biased: Everything's great!

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic