28628Re: EU ePrivacy Directive

  • Matthias Bettag
    Nov 2, 2011
      Hi Jim,

      I don't think the development team matters here. In my company we have a
      consolidated development network across several countries in four
      continents where workload is switched around, but where the developers
      sit is not of any interest for our data protection officer. The problem
      occurs when providing a website (also) for citizens of the EU.

      From a pure legal perspective (today) a cookie opt-in would be only
      mandatory for visitors from the EU (presuming that this becomes law in
      all EU countries, which is not yet everywhere decided). How this could
      be ensured when the website is owned by a US company without any legal
      entity in Europe I don't know. I cannot image access to such websites
      from the EU would be blocked.

      Global browser settings are not sufficient, unfortunately. At least not
      the current settings. As all EU regulations have to be tranformed to
      country law, there is some room for interpretation. It is possible (but
      imho unlikely) that a global browser setting would be seen as legal
      compliant. What is needed from a privacy perspective is a transparent
      (not easy) and easy-to-understand (really hard) explanation which allows
      a user to really take a choice. By now, most poeple -including a bunch
      of decision makers- do not even know what is the difference between 1st
      and 3rd party cookies. *sigh*

      btw, session cookies are out of the discussion. And yes, I would not
      expect a vast majority of users to allow 3rd party cookies. But let's
      see - my opinion on many TV shows is also not at all reflected by the
      viewing rates... (I still don't change my mind. Never ever ;-)

      My assumption IF the cookie opt-in would become mandatory (AND
      violations would be prosecuted) is NOT that that this is the end of WA
      as we know it. But some vendors and especially ad-networks would be in
      trouble. There would still be a huge demand to optimize and to
      understand the user, to segment and to aim the right target audience.
      This may result in a stronger focus on an initial online strategy if
      realtime test and optimization is somewhat hindered. The challenge would
      then be to correctly interpret the user behavior when having less and/or
      incomplete data. But at least the outcome can still be measured for most
      online initiatives.

      also, I read this interesting article today:
      http://econsultancy.com/uk/blog/8210-q-a-lbi-s-manley-on-preparing-for-the-eu-cookie-laws

      just my 2 cents, hope that helps.

      best,
      Matthias