28262RE: [webanalytics] Funnel Reports in an Excel dashboard

  • Zakrajsek, Scott
    Jul 26, 2011
      Hi Jason,

      Definitely an interesting question and something I've struggled with in
      the past. For each layer I typically like to include % of total
      visitors as well as % of visitors moving from the previous layer with
      variances to previous period/previous year/recent trend, (whatever you
      deem relevant). I often remove the actual Visitor counts at each layer
      to keep the dash clean showing only the percentages.

      From a visualization standpoint I'm usually limited on space. I think
      the actual funnel image (martini glass) is somewhat useless in
      visualizing data, but I've experienced that non-web analytics folks have
      difficulty grasping what a conversion funnel is without it. Lately I've
      been going with a waterfall chart...I think it neatly displays the
      impact positive/negative in conversions at each layer, and most business
      people have seen them before which makes sharing the data easier. FWIW,
      I do like trend charts, but I usually park them in the appendix.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterfall_chart

      -Scott