27778Re: Problems with Google Analytics Custom Reports

  • Yuhui
    Apr 1, 2011
      Hi Jim and Sarmasasthi,

      Adding my $0.02 (and hope that someone from Google is reading this thread!):

      I hadn't noticed it with Custom Reports, but I did notice it with Advanced Segments. Any report that included dates on or after March 19th gave erratic data.

      I did a very simple report: compare a segment's visits for 1 Jan to 18 Mar and 1 Jan to 27 Mar (data pulled via Analytics' API). The first report gave correct data (because I had been diligently compiling daily visits number for another project before March). The other report gave quite different numbers, even for 1 Jan to 18 Mar period, i.e. none of the days' visits tallied at all.

      I'd noticed errors with other reports using segments, e.g. one report (in the web interface) showed that a segment had *more* goal conversions when compared with "All Site". That was a real puzzler!

      Fortunately, my company is an AdWords customer, so I could send my issue, together with my compiled visits for the 2 date ranges, to AdWords for them to follow up with their Analytics team. I hope to get back a favourable reply soon, because until then, I can't be confident with any segmented data on or after 19 March.

      If you're an AdWords customer, I suggest that you submit your issue to them for their immediate attention.

      Regarding your "(not set)" keyword, I've noticed that advanced segment reports tend to include data from outside the segment, usually if that data is associated with visits that were originally part of the segment. In your case, the same people within your non-"(not set)" keyword segment could have re-entered your site via those "(not set)" keywords, so GA will still show them in the segmented report for report completeness.

      Hope that helps!

      Yu Hui
      Twitter: @yuhui

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "sarmasasthi" <sarmasasthi@...> wrote:
      > Hi Jim,
      > I checked across 6 profiles of four different accounts in GA.I am not facing that problem in the custom report you mentioned. But Google analytics Custom Report and Advanced Segment are giving some problems these days.
      > Two days back, I created a custom report for LP analysis where two metrics "Entrances" and "Exits" were giving exactly the same value
      > i.e. Entrances=Exits
      > However Exit Rate is 28% (and not 100%)
      > which are two contrasting figures in the same report itself.
      > Another problem I am facing with Advanced Segment. I created an advanced segment for keyword where along with some other conditions I have defined the condition for excluding the "(not set)" from the keyword list. But "(not set)" is still coming in the keyword report in one account whereas for another account it is working properly.
      > Are you guys facing such similar problems?
      > Thanks,
      > Sasthi Sarma
      > Web Analyst
      > Position2, Inc
      > O: +91 80 2535 7773
      > analytics@...
      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "ju2ltd" <jim@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Has anyone else experienced a problem with Google Analytics Custom Reports? We have noticed that from the 3/19th visits as reported using the Source/Medium Dimension have fallen by 90%. This drop is reflected across all major traffic sources including Direct/none, Google/organic, Bing/organic, Yahoo/organic.
      > >
      > > The problem is associated with all custom reports using that dimension.
      > >
      > > There are no similar falls in traffic source reports or Visitor Overview. We would have definitely noticed if our direct and search traffic had dropped by 90%.
      > >
      > > Jim.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic