27604Pathing and s.props in Omniture

  • Lee Romero
    Mar 1, 2011
      Hi all - this seems like a pretty basic question but I want to be sure
      I am understanding the interaction between path lengths and s.props in
      Omniture.

      I am working in an implementation where we capture a variety of things
      in s.props for each page view. This is on an intranet implementation
      (though I don't think that matters). One thing we capture in an
      s.prop is the "bread crumb" to the page - i.e., the pages location in
      the site hierarchy. Let's say that the value of this s.prop is
      something like "Home > Site1 > Site2 > Site3" (where Site2 is a 'child
      site' of Site1, etc.).

      We recently implemented a new family of sub-sites on the portal.
      Let's say that all of these sites have a breadcrumb that start with,
      "Home > SiteX" (they're all sub-sites of "SiteX").

      I am trying to determine the impact of the availability of this set of
      sites on traffic on the site.

      One specific question I'm considering is does the availability and
      usage of this family of sites impact the average path length of a
      visit? (The theory is that if a user uses one of these sites, their
      visit is "more efficient" and they need fewer clicks to get to what
      they need to accomplish their task.)

      I can run a report from the Omniture data warehouse that will show me
      the path length for a segment defined with a rule like, "Include
      visits where the 'bread crumb s.prop' starts with 'Home > SiteX'".

      That doesn't seem logically correct though - this will end up showing
      me a report of page view events where the page being viewed has a
      breadcrumb that matches the filter. This isn't giving me the path
      length of the visits but the number of pages viewed up to the moment a
      user hits a page in this set. Correct?

      Am I understanding this correct?

      I think this is where we might need to investigate evars (I think the
      value persists over a visit, right?), which, so far, we have not had
      reason to use.

      Lastly - any other ideas on metrics I might examine to determine the
      impact of the availability of these sites on visits?

      Thanks for any insights you have.

      Regards
      Lee Romero
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic