27600RE: [webanalytics] Tracking onsite search correctly with Omniture

  • Zakrajsek, Scott
    Feb 28, 2011
      Hi Dave,

      You could try firing the "internal Search" event on the button
      submission for your search box rather than on the results page.
      However, if this code change is difficult I think looking at visits for
      the onsite search term prop would give you a good proxy. Keep in mind
      it wouldn't de-dupe customers that searched for the same query twice in
      their visit. We track a bunch of different things related to onsite
      search so maybe this can give you some ideas...

      Searches and Zero results searches: 2 separate events

      Search term: prop & evar

      Result Count: Prop

      Search Page: prop (eg. 1, 2, 3...this could help you determine how many
      visits for each term get past Page 1)

      Successful Search: event set onclick when customers click on a link
      within the result set

      Filters/Sorts: Prop

      Search Slot: eVar

      Previous Search Page: Prop (we use the getPreviousValue plugin)

      Anyone else out there have any good onsite search tracking tips?

      -Scott