      From: Eric Peterson [mailto:eric@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 8:43 PM
      To: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [webanalytics] What applications are other people using?

      Interesting points, all, Matt.  While I am inclined to agree with you regarding customer-centric organization I'm slightly more pessimistic about the ultimate depths current and future vendors will take their feature sets.  Your comments about companies like Cognos, SAS and epiphany providing critical insights into customer intelligence are well put but do you think that "Web analytics" should be bounded somehow?  I guess what I'm asking is, if the current analytics vendors start to analyze the multitudes of data types currently available to the realm of "marketing" and "customer analytics" how will we know that they are Web analytics applications vendors anymore?

      Certainly it's an open question, what features and functions should be included in the toolsets provided by companies like WebTrends, WebSideStory and Omniture (just to name a few).  As we see each of the top-tier vendors, as well as a handful of the so-called "mid-tier" vendors, expanding into new realms - WebTrends acquires Web Position Gold, Coremetrics partners with ATG, WebSideStory partners with Atomz, etc. - we as relative outsiders are forced to sit back and adopt a "wait and see" attitude regarding their likelihood to succeed with these endeavours.  To this end, and my point about the feature/function wars, we can be fairly sure that if any one vendor gains traction in a new market that the rest of the pack will follow.  Think about the analytics vendors recent interest in search (site search, bid management, SEO, SEM) and ask yourself how long it will be before the entire top-tier has some significant investment/partnership in online search capabilities.

      Finally, I strongly agree with Mr. Belkin regarding his advice to "quibble12345" taking a closer look at each vendor before making a decision to switch vendors.  Data we've collected in my day job indicates that the costs associated with switching are much higher than often thought -- both in terms of retraining and reimplementation/reinstallation -- and thusly companies should look for better criteria to drive vendor change than any claims that a vendor, a company, or even an analyst makes ;-)

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic