      From: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com [mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Yuhui
      Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2010 11:22 AM
      To: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [webanalytics] Re: Any Omniture Plug-Ins for Tracking Downloads?

      Hi Dan,

      This is where you need to be aware of the properties of traffic variables and do a little hacking.

      As Adam had written in his (excellent!) blog post, you can:
      1. add an onclick event to your download link
      2. in the onclick event, add a custom link
      3. in the custom link, add a few custom traffic variables

      Recall that traffic variables let you record, among other things, page views, visits, visitors, and if pathing is enabled, time spent, exits, etc.

      So what Adam had proposed -- and this needs some understanding -- is to "trick" Omniture into thinking that your download is a "page". And you trick it by using a traffic variable. In that way, you can then track "page views", "visits", "pathing" for your download.

      Also, it's good to remember that a custom link is not necessarily restricted to tracking clicks on links. By adding traffic and conversion variables, you can record other things with custom links.

      For example, we have a site that has a Flash animation in a web page. The normal practice is to track each Flash scene as a page. But because this Flash animation doesn't take up the whole page, tracking it as a page would screw up our other metrics.

      So I use a custom link to track each scene, and this custom link sets a traffic variable. In this way, I've "tricked" Omniture into tracking the Flash scenes as "pages" but using custom links. The data for my web page is unaffected, and I can still get views, visits and pathing for the Flash animation.

      As for s.pageName, remember that this is all JavaScript. Once the s.pageName variable has been set, it becomes any old JavaScript variable. Which means in your custom link tag, you can set another traffic variable to be equal to s.pageName, and it should still work because the browser is aware of this JavaScript variable called s.pageName.

      Hope that helps!

      Regards,
      Yu Hui
      Twitter: @yuhui