2669RE: [webanalytics] Re: First Party Vs. Third Party Cookie

  • Craig Sullivan
    Jun 1, 2005
      [webanalytics] Re: First Party Vs. Third Party Cookie
      Well,

      Thanks for the mention there Stephen.  We do require people to accept first party cookies to use our site but it isn't down to pure marketing reasons <grin>.  We have a balance to strike between ensuring session security (see www.owasp.org) and measuring visitor traffic in a way that helps me improve the site experience.

      Yes,  the big difference I feel between many UK firms and US firms is that we in the UK are very aware of our responsibilities under the Data Protection laws.  In the USA, I think that there are some (not all) firms that take advantage of the information provided to abuse the relationship between consumer visits and the desire to market to these visitors.  I don't think the regulatory framework is strong enough in the US and I'm quite happy to work with the rules we have here in the uk (and EU)....

      We are just completing our membership of the bonded sender program (sic) and this will allow us to get regular system emails to our customers.  We don't view this work as a way of sending rubbish to people but to ensure that our customers get timely, useful and pertinent information relating to their account subscription with us.

      There IS a benefit to web metrics and like Star Wars, this can always be used for the 'Dark Side' as well as for the good of the force.  I try to use this to benefit customers in meaningful ways.  For example, I've noticed that lots of people need new envelopes so I'm working on a 'request an envelope' system.  Some 'Dark Side' marketing folks probably would like to send them a co-branded envelope and several emails but I simply want to help people get what they want.

      Cookies, logins, session IDs and other information can be used or misused - it all depends on the intent of the company involved.

      Craig Sullivan
      Product Manager, LOVEFiLM.
      www.lovefilm.com

      Sign up with code EM25 for a free month on me!
      Tel: + 44 (0) 20 7751 7547