2664Re: First Party Vs. Third Party Cookie

  • Stephen Turner
    Jun 1, 2005
      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Tomas Remotigue <tomremo@g...>
      > The issue as I see it is really
      > the fact that it distills down to the negative connotations that
      > people have of 3rd party cookies, and how that would be a deception
      > of the consumer if that were instead registered as a 1st party
      > cookie. Yet at the same time, people don't complain if they get
      > redirected to a 3rd party domain when they are attempt to get tech
      > support for an issue from a product manufacturer.
      > My hope is that as the consumer becomes more educated, saner heads
      > will prevail and realize that the privacy implications all around
      > are overblown. Of course, there are certain parties that might want
      > to set malicious 3rd party cookies, however [...]

      I don't think you've understood what people's main worries about
      third-party cookies actually are. Or at least, if we set aside all the
      conspiracy theories, there is still a genuine issue. It's that a lot
      of companies all use DoubleClick for their advertising, so that
      DoubleClick can piece together everything that I do on all the sites I
      visit. Of course, I expect a company to know about what I do on their
      own site. When they start contracting it out to a third party, and
      moreover every other site contracts it out to the same third party,
      that seems a step too far.

      Web analytics is different from DoubleClick, because DoubleClick
      really does want to tie together everything you do and so only uses
      one cookie, whereas we use a separate cookie for each site, and keep
      the data separate. But that's subtle -- people still feel that one
      company knows everything they do, even if in fact we can't piece it

      Whether this worry is justified or misplaced is something people can
      debate endlessly; but I think it's at least one that intelligent
      people can hold, and I think it helps to understand what the issue
      actually is so that we can address it. And to turn it on its head, let
      me recall what Alex Chudnovsky said on 8th April:

      > Come to think of it -- is there _ANY_ good reason for a surfer NOT
      > to block all 3rd party cookies? I can't see a single one at all,
      > can you?

      As far as I can see, all third-party cookies are for the benefit of
      the site owner, not the visitor. The only benefits for the visitor are
      indirect ones (keeping the cost of the site down etc.).

      Stephen Turner
      CTO, ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic