26465Re: Organic vs. Paid Search

  • johnnyhoosier
    Aug 2, 2010
      Eric said, "A very direct test would be to turn off your paid campaigns and see how this affects organic clickthough and overall keyword conversion."

      Because of fluctuations in search volume, I agree it's best to look at click-thru rate, not just the number of clicks. If you turn off paid search for a set of keywords and the following week you get 5% more organic clicks from those keywords, is that a good thing? Maybe, maybe not. What if search volume for your targeted keywords was up 10%?

      The problem I've been having is getting the search volume. The best search volume data I can find appears to be monthly data from the Google External Keywords Tool. I know the Google Webmaster Tool is supposedly providing some insight into CTR but I have a hard time believing the data provided. For example, the Google External Keyword tool will show 150,000 local searches for a keyword where we are consistently ranked #1 and always on the first page. But the Google Webmaster tool will show only 15,000 impressions for that keyword. We know that we are coming up more than 10% of the time. So to do the analysis based on the more believable External Keyword Tool, the test would have to run for an entire calendar month. Have you come up with a better way to calculate organic click-thru rate?

      Here's an idea I've been debating internally. Does it make sense to look at a keyword's organic clicks as a % of a site's total organic clicks? For example, if Keyword A generates 100 clicks and your site gets 1,000 total organic clicks, Keyword A is 10%. If you turn off paid search for Keyword A and the percentage decreases to 8%, does that tell you anything meaningful?