25594Re: Googlebots capturing URL with Coremetrics marketing parameters

  • jkatinger2002
    Apr 1, 2010
      Hi Anu,

      This happens all the time. Somewhere, somehow the Googlebot was able to follow a link that includes these campaign parameters. Maybe someone posted a link from an email to a messageboard, etc? You can look at referrers to these URLs to figure that out. However, as far as getting them out of Google's index, we've had good luck using the canonical tag to tell Google what the one "true" URL of a given page is so that it ignores various parameters, including campaign tracking parameters. More on this here...

      http://bit.ly/cnr7wt

      Hope this helps.

      Josh Katinger

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Anuradha" <a_joshi3@...> wrote:

      > Hi!
      >
      > We are currently working on SEO. We requested a report from IT to see what Googlebots are indexing from our site. We have come across some URLs, which have MMC parameters in the query string. Since these URLs are from marketing programs, googlebot should really not be seeing it on the site.
      >
      > Not sure what is going on. We are on IBM Websphere. Has anyone seen something similar happening with their site? Our IT has not been able to solve the mystery, one of possibilities we thought is that, googlebot may be seeing Akamai cached pages and indexing them, is it a possibility? We are trying to figure out the root cause so that we can fix it.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Anu

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic