23568Re: Visits and Visitor Sessions

  • shamel67
    Sep 1, 2009
      Miles is right, Adam is wrong... Visitors and visits are really not the same. Furthermore, "visitors" are NOT "people".

      "Visitors" are merely an indication that multiple visits came from the same computing environment (i.e. same browser on the same computer - same cookie identifier, or in some cases, when cookies are not used, same browser version identification string and network address - or same mobile phone)... unless the user can be authenticated (using username/password or other means of validating identity).

      As you see from this simple example, things can get pretty complicated pretty fast. Knowing how your metrics are defined is essential.

      To help out, may I suggest reading the WAA Web Analytics Definitions, which clearly defines the basic metrics: http://www.webanalyticsassociation.org/attachments/committees/5/WAA_Web_Analytics_Definitions_20080922_For_Public_Comment.pdf

      St├ęphane Hamel
      - eBusiness Strategist & Web Analytics advocate!
      - Board of Director & Treasurer, Web Analytics Association
      - Tutor, UBC Award of Achievement in Web Analytics
      Twitter: immeria
      Web: http://immeria.net
      Blog: http://blog.immeria.net
      LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/shamel