22327Re: [webanalytics] Re: Best Practices for Tagging a Non-commerce Site

  • Kiran R
    May 1, 2009
      I have tracked a non e-commerce business site before but that was tracking a site that had learning content - the objective being to eventually drive the visitor who comes to learn about the site to make a purchase.In such a non e-commerce case key metrics could be:Repeat Metrics: % of Repeat visits
      Duration Metrics: Visit Duration/Page Duration
      Engagement Metrics: Number of clicksDrive to purchase metrics: %age of visitors that end up purchasing on the siteAbandonment Metrics: Bounce,Leakage
      Given that in your site, the objective is not to make a purchase AND you cannot have cookies, 1. and 4. are gone. So you are left with the rest.

      Some hints that I can give you from experience
      Look for 5-abandonment metrics. It is the most important metric. If the bounce is high for a non e-commerce site, then probably no point in advertising to get traffic in there - IMPROVE THE CONTENTEngagement metrics: Number of clicks, visit/page view duration are equally important - Less engagement means that the site is not doing its jobAlso look at the metrics by individual page for the top 10 % of the pages. You might find a few lemons thereThanks
      Kiran
      rkirana@...
      Web Analytics Consultant
      http://webanalyticsnuggets.blogspot.com/