22048Re: Tealeaf vs Analytics tools

  • marianina3
    Apr 3, 2009
      i agree with in most part but with tealeaf with packet sniffing it automatically collects all http requests and responses so eg you can see where people clicked on the page exactly if the href is unique on the page without additional tagging - otherwise you would need additional javascript tagging on the page called UI capture - so it depends on your needs/site - in many/most instances I don't think you need additional js tagging - it is worth it on key funnel pages though.

      completely separately - an effective use of tealeaf is integration with web analytics tools (webtrends, google analytics etc. eg via their api tealeaf can display all of the metrics / funnels / referral information - anything that you are collecting/bucketing/segmenting eg (including all keywords in a list by source and eg do regex matching) inside the tealeaf platform and then you can click on these to view replayable sessions. or pivot from excel downloads of data straight from web analytics tool to replayable sessions in tealeaf.
      cheers
      marianina

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holstein" <paul@...> wrote:

      > Well, it can't do everything, but when you combine it with another WA tool such as Omniture or Google Analytics, you'll cover most of your bases.
      >
      > First of all, you will want to tag all of your pages for TeaLeaf. Without tagging, you will miss such important information about which link did they click, how long did the page take to load and did the JavaScript fire correctly.
      >
      > Tagging in TeaLeaf is very worthwhile, if for no other reason, than you can get very good performance data when you tag your pages and secondly, you can integrate the analytics with Google Analytics fairly easily.
      >
      > Secondly, TeaLeaf doesn't do lists. This is a real bummer and the reason you will need a WA solution. You can't gather lists of keywords or referrers with the tool. It is the most serious shortcoming of the product. Of course, the simple solution is to use both TeaLeaf and a traditional WA product. Unfortunately, you can't segment by keyword or referer without pre-defining those keywords.
      >
      > All information on the dashboards come out as graphs. The timeframes for these graphs are pretty fixed as well. Daily, Weekly, etc. You can't put more than one thing on a graph either. For example, if you want to look at page load times, you have to predefine the times you want to see on each graph. i.e. one graph for 1 second load times, one graph for 2 second load times, etc. Not exactly elegant or practical because it's hard to get an overall feel, but it gets the job done.
      >
      > Finally, any bit of information you want to see in a dashboard must be setup manually. This isn't very difficult, but you often need to tweak it to be sure you are capturing the correct information.
      >
      > I have to tell you that I really love TeaLeaf. I look at my dashboards almost every day and zero in on problems and opportunities constantly.
      >
      > The simple act of looking at declined credit cards has probably already saved us the cost of the product. Therefore, I give it my full unabashed recommendation.
      >
      > Good luck and let me know offline if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to give you the "real" story.
      >
      > --Paul
      >
      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "julianbarnes34" <julianbarnes34@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Having had a typically 'it can do everything and can be implemented tomorrow' sales pitch from 'Tealeaf' I am wondering how we should be considering using Tealeaf to supplement our Analytics solution.
      > >
      > > I can see the 'video replay' function being very useful for specific scenario playbacks, especially in funnel/step parts of our site but everything over and above that we should be able to get from our analytics tool, one benefit of Tealeaf, being a http sniffer, is that it doesn't reply on the quality or ability of us being able to tag our pages correctly.
      > >
      > > Anyone like to offer any advice / views / do and do nots on this subject?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
> [...]
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic