21596Re: [webanalytics] Why everyone's traffic is down 9.7%

  • Anil Batra
    Mar 4 10:24 AM
      Lesson:

      Don't just look at numbers (reports) analyze them, understand the full
      context.

      Invest in Analysis not just reporting.

      http://webanalysis.blogspot.com/2007/05/are-you-doing-web-reporting-or-web.html

      On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Dustin Woodard <webconnoisseur@...>wrote:

      > That's the point - there is great growth fluctuation month-over-month
      > with absolutely no daily traffic changes! January and August are the
      > only months that won't face month-over-month growth fluctuations.
      >
      > It true that a graph of the actual monthly traffic volumes instead of
      > growth rates would look fairly flat since I chose a flat traffic
      > scenario, but I wanted to illustrate how monthly growth figures
      > (something many companies use) can be misleading.
      >
      > -Dustin
      >
      > On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Hailong XIA <hailongxia@...<hailongxia%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      > > Well, the graphique is misleading, it shows great fluctuation, but in
      > fact
      > > the traffic for the month January, March, May etc. are the same. Only the
      > > percentage is not enough, the real traffic data is needed and a combined
      > > graphique goes better.
      > >
      > > 2009/3/2 Dustin Woodard <webconnoisseur@...<webconnoisseur%40gmail.com>
      > >

      > >> Well everyone's traffic isn't down 9.7%, but there is a built-in 9.7%
      > >> loss pulling everyone down this month:
      > >> http://tinyurl.com/monthlyanalyticsbias
      > >>
      > >> It's a no-brainer, but often overlooked.

      Anil Batra: http://www.AnilBatra.com
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/anilbatra
      Blog: http://webanalysis.blogspot.com
      Web Analytics Jobs at