19977Re: [webanalytics] Re: Google Analytics Questions

  • Adam Boettiger
    Nov 4, 2008
      On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 2:10 AM, londonturu <londonturu@...> wrote:

      > Hi Adam,
      >
      > When you tag with ._trackPageview();
      >
      > Google Analytics captures the actual REQUEST URI in the browser
      > (document.location.pathname + document.location.search)...
      >
      > If you have both rooturl.com/subdirectory/ and
      > rooturl.com/subdirectory in your TOP CONTENT report this means they
      > are both valid contents.
      >
      > If you type both contents in the browser, what do you see? Are both
      > URLs showing the same content? Is one of them a 404 error?

      Yes. Both URLs are showing the same content. So are you saying what
      needs to happen is we would need to set a 301 redirect or a regex
      filter that routes to the slash version from the non-slash version?

      > This will drop the last / for strings ended in /

      So is it better to have the slash or not have the slash?

      > If you want to have all reports for a single subdirectory you have to
      > create a new profile with a filter to include traffic to that
      > subdirectory. There is a default filter to do so.

      So create a new profile within the existing analytics account. But
      does not that require retagging the subsection of the site with new
      tags? And if yes, wouldn't that mean that the root site's analytics
      would be skewed? Or are you suggesting the placement of two GA tags in
      subdirectory content?

      Adam Boettiger, Digital Strategist
      adam@... - 503.989.2668
      Portland, Oregon